Default Can the Noncustodial Parent Provide Child Care to Avoid Paying for Professional Care

My question involves child support in the State of: MD

I am a stay at home mom. I havent worked since 2009...right after I lost primary care of my children to their father. I couldnt even afford a lawyer when I went in to court initially which is why I think I lost the case. Anyway, my question is this...and I think this is more opinionated, rather than legal...

I am supposed to be paying child support...unfortunately I dont work, so I have an outstanding bill. My ex who works all kinds of hours has to hire childcare to monitor the children when he is at work. I dont understand why I have to pay child support when I am at home with my younger child (my husband supports me). Wouldnt the court consider my children coming to live with me since I am able to be there for them? Right now, my bill is getting hire and my children are being raised by babysitters.

I guess Im just frustrated, because at this point I cant afford a proper atty and going into court without one is out of the question.

What is your take on this?

Default Re: What Makes the Most Sense to You

The children deserve to be supported by both parents.

Could you perhaps elaborate on why you don't think you should be supporting your other children? Perhaps being a SAHM is not feasible for you right now.

Custody wise, the court won't uproot the children from Dad unless there's a darned good reason for doing so.

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    The children deserve to be supported by both parents.

Could you perhaps elaborate on why you don't think you should be supporting your other children? Perhaps being a SAHM is not feasible for you right now.

Custody wise, the court won't uproot the children from Dad unless there's a darned good reason for doing so.
    However, if they live in the same community mom might win the right to care for them while dad is working.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    However, if they live in the same community mom might win the right to care for them while dad is working.
    I am curious as to why mom does not have custody if in fact she was a SAHM?

However, if this person is home and has no kids to care for, she certainly should be working. In fact if she were dad, we'd tell him the same thing.

Quote Quoting Antigone
    View Post
    I am curious as to why mom does not have custody if in fact she was a SAHM?

However, if this person is home and has no kids to care for, she certainly should be working. In fact if she were dad, we'd tell him the same thing.
    She said that she was "at home with her younger child".

Default Re: Can the Noncustodial Parent Provide Child Care to Avoid Paying for Professional C

Quote Quoting empressivory
    View Post
    My question involves child support in the State of: MD

I am a stay at home mom. I havent worked since 2009...right after I lost primary care of my children to their father. I couldnt even afford a lawyer when I went in to court initially which is why I think I lost the case. Anyway, my question is this...and I think this is more opinionated, rather than legal...

I am supposed to be paying child support...unfortunately I dont work, so I have an outstanding bill. My ex who works all kinds of hours has to hire childcare to monitor the children when he is at work. I dont understand why I have to pay child support when I am at home with my younger child (my husband supports me). Wouldnt the court consider my children coming to live with me since I am able to be there for them? Right now, my bill is getting hire and my children are being raised by babysitters.

I guess Im just frustrated, because at this point I cant afford a proper atty and going into court without one is out of the question.

What is your take on this?
    I understand that all things being equal sometimes without an attorney you won't win custody but what the court decides is what they decide....so.

It is your responsibility to pay child support. If you are being supported by your current husband he "should be" paying the support for you if he agrees. If he doesn't its legally not his obligation. You need to pay. Get a job to at least cover the support amount. I understand wanting to be home with your younger children but sometimes we have to do things we don't want to. You are risking suspended DL & jail time by not paying. Is that something that's in the best interest of your younger children? You in jail? You without a DL? Possible in jail/legal trouble if you drive suspended.

Have you got a modification simce your younger children were born? It could lower your support amount but you would still need to pay that amount.

It is possible you could watch your children to avoid you paying child care expenses (but you still need to pay support). But if your order states you are to pay those expenses and your ex doesn't agree for you to watch them then you will just have to pay.

At this point since your ex has had custody and everything is going well even if you are a great mom they won't change custody. They need a good reason to remove them from your ex husbands care.

1. Sponsored Links