Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Can You Be Sued for Telling People About Your Ex-Spouse's Homsexual Infidelity

My question involves defamation in the state of: Texas

I am Party A - a female. My ex-husband is Party B.

Party A divorced Party B in March 2011 based on finding factual evidence that Party B was secretely having sex with men in and out of the marital bed. Party B created this evidence of himself and left it in marriage home, and Party A found it and copied the evidence. Party A filed immediately for divorce and, within 1 week, notified Party B that Party A knew what Party B was having sex with men. Party B has never ever denied this truth after being confronted.

Following the divorce, Party A relocated to NY and Party B remains in TX. Party A gets asked via calls or inquiries through a 2nd party about Party A and Party B's marriage. Party A has heard from multiple people that Party B is not letting people (including his own family) know that the divorce has taken place, let alone been finalized some time ago. Party B has disconnected himself from 98% of common friends of Party A. When Party B comes in contact with common friends of Party A, he will not acknowledge that the divorce exists. Party A is told that Party B consistently answers that Party A is fine whenever people ask Party B about Party A. It is very troubling that Party B is trying to save face by going on as if still married to Party A.

If Party A tells friends/family/former in-law family that the divorce has taken place and the reason for it, could Party A be sued for slander or libel? Party A imagines not since the sharing would be all factual information. Party A wants to go on with her life and not hear of anymore association with Party B.

Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Slander/Libel/Defamation Legal Ramification if I Share My Divorce and Reason for

Quote Quoting mygalantgtz
    View Post
    My question involves defamation in the state of: Texas

I am Party A - a female. My ex-husband is Party B.

Party A divorced Party B in March 2011 based on finding factual evidence that Party B was secretely having sex with men in and out of the marital bed. Party B created this evidence of himself and left it in marriage home, and Party A found it and copied the evidence. Party A filed immediately for divorce and, within 1 week, notified Party B that Party A knew what Party B was having sex with men. Party B has never ever denied this truth after being confronted.

Following the divorce, Party A relocated to NY and Party B remains in TX. Party A gets asked via calls or inquiries through a 2nd party about Party A and Party B's marriage. Party A has heard from multiple people that Party B is not letting people (including his own family) know that the divorce has taken place, let alone been finalized some time ago. Party B has disconnected himself from 98% of common friends of Party A. When Party B comes in contact with common friends of Party A, he will not acknowledge that the divorce exists. Party A is told that Party B consistently answers that Party A is fine whenever people ask Party B about Party A. It is very troubling that Party B is trying to save face by going on as if still married to Party A.

If Party A tells friends/family/former in-law family that the divorce has taken place and the reason for it, could Party A be sued for slander or libel? Party A imagines not since the sharing would be all factual information. Party A wants to go on with her life and not hear of anymore association with Party B.

Thank you in advance.
    Nothing wrong with telling anyone that you divorced. I would leave it at that though. No need to air his dirty laundry.

Default Re: Slander/Libel/Defamation Legal Ramification if I Share My Divorce and Reason for

You be sued for just about anything in the US. Whether he would win or not, not likely.

You would be telling the truth, which is a defense to slander. Granted, it would be a defense you would have to mount if sued and not an automatic out on it.

It would easiest to simply state the marriage has ended, without going into the details.

Thank you. I've been contacted by a literary agent to discuss writing a memoir about my life including this experience. Would there be an legal ramifications when shared this way?

Quote Quoting mygalantgtz
    View Post
    Thank you. I've been contacted by a literary agent to discuss writing a memoir about my life including this experience. Would there be an legal ramifications when shared this way?
    There could be. As Free9man already told you, you could be sued for just about anything.

Thanks. I'll make certain to contact a local NY attorney to confirm.

You should also talk to a Texas attorney, since you may open yourself up to Invasion of Privacy.

Texas laws are stronger than those of NY on this tort, and your ex may be within his legal rights to drag you into a Texas court to resolve a lawsuit arising from your publication.

Thank you, Gator1. Interestingly enough, my ex-husband has subjected himself to Invasion of Privacy Laws of which he would absolutely be held accountable for. Essentially, he secretly videotaped himself having sex with men in our marriage home and the men have no knowledge of this. The start and end of the video makes this very clear, and he would not have anything to disprove this.

Y'know, for someone who "just wants to move on", you seem determined to keep this mess going.

Why is that?

firstly, I'm responding to individuals above who have provided VALUABLE insight. YOU INSERT MORE INAPPROPRIATE OPINIONS/JUDGEMENT THAN HELP. WHEN YOU'RE VALIDATED AS SPOTLESS OF SINS, YOU CAN CAST A STONE. OFFICIALLY UNSUBSCRIBED FROM DOGMATIQUE OR WHOEVER YOU ARE...

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast