Default Grandparents' Rights to See a Step-Grandchild

my question involves grandparents right in Ohio.

what are the grandparents rights in ohio? Does a step grand parent have any legal right to there step grandchild?

Here is a little back round. I am a 26 year old unmarried woman, pregnant with my first child. I cant get married at the moment because of previous financial problems that i refuse to bring into a marriage. The father and I make enough money to support a child so thats not an issue.

My mother let my step father abuse me in every which way when i was a child and she did some stuff herself. Making them unfit people in my opinion. Definitely untrustworthy. There is no proof of any of the abuse because when i was younger my mother would put the "if you tell someone they will take you away from your family and you'll never see us again" scare into me. So nothing ever got reported. As i got older i had no choice but to take it.

anyways ive told my mother due to all that in the past that my step father will have no visitation with my child, wont even be able to hold my child. I told my mother she has the right to visit with her grandchild as long as Myself or my baby;s father is right there with her. There will be no alone time or over night visits. I CANNOT risk them doing to my kid what they did to me.

my mother does not accept this and threatens to go to court and sue me for custody of my child or at the very least forced grandparent rights after my child is born. Does she have a case? esp because there is no proof of abuse.

Default Re: Grandparents Rights for Ohio

Grandparents have no inherent rights in ANY state.

However, under certain circumstances, they may have standing to sue the parents for visitation.

Given that you haven't even had the child yet, the chances of a successful suit is nil.

Once you do have the child however, you need to protect yourself. Let them file - they will have to prove to the court that NOT having visitation would be detrimental to the child. They cannot prove this - at all.

1. Sponsored Links