Default Running Cable Perpendicular to an Easement

My company owns two adjoining lots in Green Oaks, IL. Between the lots is a fence and utility poles with power and phone lines parallel to and above the fence. I would like to run a cable between the buildings on each lot, perpendicular to the fence. Between the buildings is also a blacktop driveway and a gravel driveway, both of which often have large trucks. To run the cable between the buildings I will need to either run it under the driveways using directional boring, or run it through the middle of the telephone and electric cables above the fence. The buildings are close enough together that I will not need to attach to the utility poles.

Can I expect any legal problems running cable either under or through the middle of the easement?

Default Re: Run Cable Perpendicular to Easement

Quote Quoting Pascal666
    View Post

Can I expect any legal problems running cable either under or through the middle of the easement?
    maybe

contact any entity that currently uses the easement and request permission to install your cable. The aerial installation may be an issue as it would obstruct the use of boom trucks and the like. The underground installation is more likely to be acceptable...

unless there is already an underground installation or any of the companies using the easement install an underground cable. Even then it may be able to do this if they designate a depth for you and or have you acknowledge that your installation may be damaged should they install a cable underground with no recourse to you.

The buildings are close enough together that I will not need to attach to the utility poles.
    that's good because you almost guaranteed would not receive permission to attach to the poles.

Default Re: Running Cable Perpendicular to an Easement

The advantage of an above ground cable is that a disconnect could be installed at one of the building connections to make removal possible in minutes.

what is the cable for? if it is for network a cheap alternative if you can't get permission or don't want to pay for a buried installation would be a wireless bridge like this http://www.amazon.com/EZ-Bridge-Lite.../dp/B002K683V0

Quote Quoting Lehk
    View Post
    what is the cable for? if it is for network a cheap alternative if you can't get permission or don't want to pay for a buried installation would be a wireless bridge like this http://www.amazon.com/EZ-Bridge-Lite.../dp/B002K683V0
    It will be for both data and voice. I would like to connect the telephones in one building directly to the PBX in the other. If I have to go wireless I will have to do VoIP or similar.
    If I do go wireless, I will use a pair of Ubiquiti NanoStation Loco M5. Cheaper and faster than the bridges you suggested. Thank you for the suggestion though.

Quote Quoting Disagreeable
    View Post
    The advantage of an above ground cable is that a disconnect could be installed at one of the building connections to make removal possible in minutes.
    It is generally preferable to have no splices and absolutely as few as possible junction points. A proper installation will have a continuous cable from a data closet patch panel to the same in the other building.

not knowing the distances involved but presuming they exceed 100 meters, op might consider a fiber optic cable for the building to building connection (if allowed to install a physical connection). Typical cat cable interconnections are typically limited to that distance without intervening booster/relay equipment. Since he is speaking of horizontal boring, I don't think the price of fiber and associated equipment would be an issue

it. Beyond that, due to such an aerial installation requiring a messenger cable (strong metal cable securely attached at each end) the means of a quick disconnecting means for the cat cable becomes a moot ooint

Not to dispute the issue, which is somewhat minor, however, My home is so far from the road and due to the poles proximity and popularity for being hit, My cable and electric are setup with a msngr cable and a breakaway connections before they enter my home.

Quote Quoting Disagreeable
    View Post
    Not to dispute the issue, which is somewhat minor, however, My home is so far from the road and due to the poles proximity and popularity for being hit, My cable and electric are setup with a msngr cable and a breakaway connections before they enter my home.
    the messenger cable has breakway connections? Please post a picture of the breakaway messenger connection. Can't say I have ever seen such as, simply by the purpose of the cable, it is counter productive. Messenger cables can be required to hold quite a bit of tension/weight.

I also have never seen a breakway connection on a overhead service drop. I would love to see a system that provides such benefits while overcoming the obvious issues of it coming apart when not intended.

additionally, I seriously doubt you are fed with a cat cable (USP/ STP/ ScTP/ SScTP). Cable (as in cable TV or cable broadband internet) uses a coaxial (coax) cable and the limitations are extremely different than those applicable to systems using a cat cable. Additionally, if the distance is so great, the cable provider can easily install an amplifier/booster where it leaves the backbone or branch cable to compensate for that. Not so easy with a cat cable system.

No, the msngr mount simply pulls out of the wood and line disconnects at the connector. EZ PZ. The msgnr can be unwrapped and disconnected on both.

Oh, so you actually have to disassemble the messenger mount. Didn't think there was any quick disconnect for such.

as to the connector; is that a coax? If so, not only is there a junction where it attaches to the house, there is a requirement it is such so they can install a grounding block./

You treat a cat cable very differently.

but what about that breakaway disconnect thing for the power cable?

1. Sponsored Links