Question Can I Be Disciplined or Fired for Emails I Send Outside of Work

I am a medical professional (RN) and there is a local chiropractor who advertises on TV stating he can treat a medical condition (not related to what chiropractors d0). I emailed his via his website (his name.hotmail for example) and told him he is practicing outside the limits of his license and told him that I work for an insurance company and would find gratitude in denying his claims if he is treating people outside his license (I personally could not deny them, that decision would have to be done by an MD who works for the insurance company). I specifically said in the email that this was my opinion only and not that of my employer. He replied saying he knew my name (and quoted it) and would forward the email to his attorney and see me and my company in court-- which scared the hell out of me. 1-do I have any right to expect privacy? 2-Can my employer, if made aware of this private email, terminate me for doing that? This is my first time posting and hope I have the correct forum. If not, please let me know. TYVM

Default Re: Private Email to Someone, Can They 'Get Me'

1. Not in the slightest.

2. Please tell us where you're located. And whether you're unionised or have an enforceable contract or CBA

report him to your state licensing board, he is likely practicing medicine without a license and also likely committing fraud.

I would also consider your job potentially at risk. You did not do this as an individual. You admit you said you would use your professional capacity in the insurance company to deny his patient claims. Whether you have the power or not, you held yourself out as having the power. I would be sweating it out.

Thx so far:
    RE:
    1. Not in the slightest.-- I'm hoping he realizes that if he opens this up to the public sector, that he too will become scrutinized for doing/saying what he is saying and that by bringing my concerns up that he realizes he has more at stake than someone emailing him privately. Because if he does and it negatively affects me, I will be contacting the state board as well as contacting that television station. I can't believe he was even allowed to advertise as he is. I believe his guise is that he is practicing holistically however he does not express this on TV (maybe in very small print), he says in his ads that 'most doctors' only check for x and y lab tests (he is not even licensed to order any blood/lab tests) whereas I check for 'the underlying cause' of z (the illness).

2. Please tell us where you're located. And whether you're unionized or have an enforceable contract or CBA -- No union or CBA/contact.

your actions are not actionable in court but that does not prevent a person from filing a suit if they so choose. You would be obligated to respond and defend yourself or risk a default judgment. He can contact your employer and what your employer does is up to them and and possible CBA if applicable.

Yes, they could fire you for what you did.

It doesn't matter if you did this under the name of your employer or didn't mention your employer at all.

Pray that it was a bluff and that neither he nor his attorney really does contact your employer. Because if he does, I doubt if even a CBA will save your job.

You certainly crossed the line of good sense and exposed yourself to the possibility of being reprimanded or terminated by the insurance company you work for. Rather than court, it may be the attorney will send a cease and desist letter to your employer with a copy of your email, which could get ugly for you. It also avoids him turning this into a public matter.

Quite frankly, the Chiropractic licensing board could care less about the opinion of an RN about what a Chiropractor can or cannot do. If this Chiropractor is crossing any professional lines on TV, there are plenty of folks far better qualified than yourself in the TV viewing audience who can make this determination and take any action.

Quote Quoting fisherman01
    View Post
    2. Please tell us where you're located. And whether you're unionized or have an enforceable contract or CBA -- No union or CBA/contact.
    You really don't want to tell us your state...why is that?

Not that it really matters at this point. As long as she's inside the US, the answers are the same in this case.

Honey, do you really think that no one from the licensing board watches TV or sees his ads?

1. Sponsored Links