Question Driving on a Valid License When Suspended in Another State

Hello,

I have a valid Florida driver's license which I have been using for about 10 years. I just went in to replace the license after losing my wallet and while they replaced the license without issue, they informed me I had a suspended license in Pennsylvania. I lived in Pennsylvania 10 years ago before moving to Florida. They said this could be due to not turning in tags, a ticket I forgot about or some other incident.

Usually it would be no problem, I am a valid driver in FL and could handle the issue in PA by mail. The problem however is that I was about to take a car trip to see some relatives and was going to rent a car and drive. The woman at the DMV told me that PA put my suspension on some national database that FL was ignoring but that might get me into trouble in other states. She seemed to imply my license could be confiscated by a police officer upon being pulled over.

So my question is: could a police officer from another state truly take my valid FL license? What is the penalty for driving with one valid license and one suspended license in a state from which neither license was issued? Any advice or tips on whether I should go ahead with the car trip? I would hate to postpone it until I handle the PA issue.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Valid Florida License, Suspended Pa License

actually you cannot have a valid license in one state and a suspended license in another state since you cannot technically possess more than one license at any given time. PA has suspended your privileges. Any state that recognizes the actions of PA can apply that suspension to their state and consider your driving privileges to be suspended and treat you as such.

That could entail being ticketed but could also entail arrest and seizure of the vehicle you are driving at the time. It all depends on what state you happened to be in at the time.

I would make an effort to clear it up before you leave. If you do not clear it up prior to leaving, I would make damn sure you followed every traffic law to the letter in every state you visit.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    actually you cannot have a valid license in one state and a suspended license in another state since you cannot technically possess more than one license at any given time. PA has suspended your privileges. Any state that recognizes the actions of PA can apply that suspension to their state and consider your driving privileges to be suspended and treat you as such.
    Thanks for clearing that up.

Is this a choice the officer pulling me over would make?

That would play a large part of it. An officer is not bound to issue tickets or really take any specific actions but I surely wouldn't rely on the good grace of a cop I had never met before in a state I do not live in. That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    That would play a large part of it. An officer is not bound to issue tickets or really take any specific actions but I surely wouldn't rely on the good grace of a cop I had never met before in a state I do not live in. That sounds like a recipe for disaster.
    Fair enough. Sounds like I would be risking the local laws and which states might honor PA more than my state does. Sounds like a big risk to take.

Thanks for the advice.

The one state in which you absolutely cannot drive is Pennsylvania. As each state has its own laws and regulations, it's not possible for us to promise that you'll be able to avoid problems in other states due to the Pennsylvania suspension; I would be surprised if it were an issue in most states, but I've been surprised before and wouldn't attempt to speak for all states.

1. Sponsored Links