Default Required to Attend a Meeting at the Social Security Office

first of all, Hello. Im new to these forums, and if I post something wrong or something I apologize in advance. I don't have a specific legal issue as of yet, but I have some questions regarding rights. I have been disabled and collecting social security disability for around 4 years now. Today I received a letter from my local office requesting I attend a meeting in about a week and a half. It does not give any reason for the meeting but says that the reason will be disclosed at the meeting. This does not sound good to me. Has anyone ever had a similar letter and what did it mean ? I haven't committed any fraud or done anything wrong to my knowledge. As far as im aware I have reported everything I was supposed to. Of course its a little hard to keep up with all the rules and requirements myself but I try. My attorney was less than helpful, after I won my appeal they pretty much disappeared. Whenever I call with questions they are to busy to talk and whenever I go to social security..well, I seem to know more then they do it seems like. The only thing I can think of is that im going through a custody fight right now over my daughter and my soon to be Ex has reported me to every state and county agency she can think ( every single one has been ruled unsubstantiated ) of so its not unthinkable that she reported me for fraud or something just to try stir up more trouble. Especially since shes pretty mad because I became my daughters payee 2 months ago which means she lost approximately $500. a month in money she was using to help pay her rent and stuff. If I go to the appointment and they blind side me with a bunch of questions of course ill do my best to comply, but it would seem like theyd ask me to bring in some kind of paperwork or something wouldn't they ? If I go to the meeting and am accused of something do I have the right to request that we make a new appointment so I can have an attorney present ? Im basically just asking for others experience or thoughts on this, its a little unnerving to be called in for a meeting and have no idea what its about. which brings me to my last question, shouldn't I have a right to know what they are requesting my presence for ahead of time ?

Default Re: Social Security Notice

I suggest you take proof of the information you have conveyed. I also suggest you take proof of your Payee actions. What have you been using the Payee money for, if you have not been allocating it for childs portion of "rent and stuff"?

i wondered about that myself, but she just received her second check recently, and i didn't even get the award letter and the instructions about keeping track of expenditures until a couple weeks after she received her 1st check. Them depositing the check in the account i had set up for her for money i gave her for allowance and stuff is the way i found out i was made payee actually. If theyre asking for an accounting of stuff like that it also would seem like they would ask me to bring that paperwork with me. not send some cryptic letter that states "the reason for the appointment will be detailed at the appointment". I talked to the people at the national number and the local office and they both told me they could see nothing in my file that would indicate the reason for the meeting. And when transferred to the agent who sent me the letter all i get is a generic voicemail.

Quote Quoting brutus1775
    View Post
    first of all, Hello. Im new to these forums, and if I post something wrong or something I apologize in advance. I don't have a specific legal issue as of yet, but I have some questions regarding rights. I have been disabled and collecting social security disability for around 4 years now. Today I received a letter from my local office requesting I attend a meeting in about a week and a half. It does not give any reason for the meeting but says that the reason will be disclosed at the meeting. This does not sound good to me. Has anyone ever had a similar letter and what did it mean ? I haven't committed any fraud or done anything wrong to my knowledge. As far as im aware I have reported everything I was supposed to. Of course its a little hard to keep up with all the rules and requirements myself but I try. My attorney was less than helpful, after I won my appeal they pretty much disappeared. Whenever I call with questions they are to busy to talk and whenever I go to social security..well, I seem to know more then they do it seems like. The only thing I can think of is that im going through a custody fight right now over my daughter and my soon to be Ex has reported me to every state and county agency she can think ( every single one has been ruled unsubstantiated ) of so its not unthinkable that she reported me for fraud or something just to try stir up more trouble. Especially since shes pretty mad because I became my daughters payee 2 months ago which means she lost approximately $500. a month in money she was using to help pay her rent and stuff. If I go to the appointment and they blind side me with a bunch of questions of course ill do my best to comply, but it would seem like theyd ask me to bring in some kind of paperwork or something wouldn't they ? If I go to the meeting and am accused of something do I have the right to request that we make a new appointment so I can have an attorney present ? Im basically just asking for others experience or thoughts on this, its a little unnerving to be called in for a meeting and have no idea what its about. which brings me to my last question, shouldn't I have a right to know what they are requesting my presence for ahead of time ?
    How did you become your daughter's rep payee? That may be the topic of the meeting. If the child is still officially in mom's custody because no decision has been made in your current custody case, then you may have jumped the gun on being the rep payee.

finally got ahold of the agent, he said he couldn't specifically comment on my case but he is in the fraud investigation claims dept. , he said i didn't need to bring any paperwork or anything with me. he said it should be pretty quick if nothings wrong. Im betting it has to do with my ex. I explained the situation with her and he moved the meeting up a couple days at my request. So i guess well see.

You are already in trouble if you have been withholding disbursement of the child's SS funds, which are supposed to be used to meet her needs. Be prepared to answer questions based on it.

exactly what are you talking about ? either you are misreading something or just assuming things. either way your way off base. if anyone withheld her funds I would say it was her mother. there is a reason I was awarded the payee status, and every single thing I told them was 100% true and substantiated by evidence I presented. as for my disbursement of her funds, anyone who would think that to be the case hasn't raised a 14 yr old daughter in this day and age.

You as Payee are given money each month to meet the recipients needs. How did you spend the money to meet her needs? If she was deemed competent to spend the money alone, she would not have a payee. That is assumed for a minor.

As the adult in charge of her money, how did you responsibly determine it should be used to meet her needs? For example, giving her $700 cash to take to the mall for spending money, is not likely to be deemed responsible unless she has no other obligations that need met for her best interest welfare. I suspect what you did was decided she does not need to assist with the bills at moms and are using the deprivation of support as a club. Sooo, what did you spend the money on? If you did not spend it, what was the necessary reason for you to stockpile a small amount of cash to meet a specific need?

mom was the payee and now you are? how exactly did that happen and what is the current custody order?

1. Sponsored Links