Hybrid View

Default How to Get Social Security Survivor's Benefits for Children

My question involves child support in the State of:MASSACHUSETTS AND NEW YORK CITY
    IM A SINGLE PARENT OF TWO CHILDREN AGES 16 & 14 OF THE A PARENT WHO DECEASED IN MARCH 2009.THE DECEASED PARENT RESIDED IN MASS AND I RESIDED IN NYC WITH THE KIDS,WE WERENT MARRIED JUST TEENS THAT STARTED EARLY.HE WORKED FOR BOSTON UMASS FOR ABOUT 5 YEARS I BELIEVE NOT TO SURE ON LENGHT OF EMPLOYMENT.WHEN HE WAS FATALLY SHOT AND KILLED I WAS INFORMED THAT CHILDREN WERE IN ENTITLED TO OBTAIN HIS SOCIAL SECURITY.AFTER TRYING FOR A MONTH OR SO THRU HIS JOB I WAS TOLD HE CHOSE NOT PAY INTO HIS SOCIAL SECURITY WHEN HE WAS ALIVE (APPERENTLY IN MASS YOU HAVE THAT OPTION)SO NOW THAT HE CHOSE NOT TO PAY INTO IT FROM WHAT I KNOW THE KIDS HAVE NOTHING TO RECEIVE IS THIS TRUE? I ONLY WAS TOLD BY ONE AGNECY THE YEAR HE DIED I DIDNT FURTHER PURSUE BUT EVERYONE KEEPS TELLING ME THAT THE KIDS SHOULD BE GETTING SOMETHING.IVE BEEN DOING IT ALONE SINCE HIS DEATH AND WILL CONTINUE BUT AS THE PRICES SOAR AND KIDS ARE MORE AND MORE EXPENSIVE I WAS JUST CURIOUS TO SEE IF ANY HELP WAS OUT THERE FOR THE KIDS AND I.PLEASE HELP.THANK YOU.

Default Re: Single Parent

Quote Quoting chocolate
    View Post
    My question involves child support in the State of:MASSACHUSETTS AND NEW YORK CITY
    IM A SINGLE PARENT OF TWO CHILDREN AGES 16 & 14 OF THE A PARENT WHO DECEASED IN MARCH 2009.THE DECEASED PARENT RESIDED IN MASS AND I RESIDED IN NYC WITH THE KIDS,WE WERENT MARRIED JUST TEENS THAT STARTED EARLY.HE WORKED FOR BOSTON UMASS FOR ABOUT 5 YEARS I BELIEVE NOT TO SURE ON LENGHT OF EMPLOYMENT.WHEN HE WAS FATALLY SHOT AND KILLED I WAS INFORMED THAT CHILDREN WERE IN ENTITLED TO OBTAIN HIS SOCIAL SECURITY.AFTER TRYING FOR A MONTH OR SO THRU HIS JOB I WAS TOLD HE CHOSE NOT PAY INTO HIS SOCIAL SECURITY WHEN HE WAS ALIVE (APPERENTLY IN MASS YOU HAVE THAT OPTION)SO NOW THAT HE CHOSE NOT TO PAY INTO IT FROM WHAT I KNOW THE KIDS HAVE NOTHING TO RECEIVE IS THIS TRUE? I ONLY WAS TOLD BY ONE AGNECY THE YEAR HE DIED I DIDNT FURTHER PURSUE BUT EVERYONE KEEPS TELLING ME THAT THE KIDS SHOULD BE GETTING SOMETHING.IVE BEEN DOING IT ALONE SINCE HIS DEATH AND WILL CONTINUE BUT AS THE PRICES SOAR AND KIDS ARE MORE AND MORE EXPENSIVE I WAS JUST CURIOUS TO SEE IF ANY HELP WAS OUT THERE FOR THE KIDS AND I.PLEASE HELP.THANK YOU.
    Not sure if you are aware but typing in all caps is considered very bad netiquette.

Have you actually applied for benefits at the SSA?

Default Re: How to Get Social Security Survivor's Benefits for Children

If he did not earn enough work credits for his children to qualify for survivor benefits, then they don't qualify. We can't investigate that for you - your application would either be approved or denied based upon whether he qualifies.

The only solution is to apply for benefits and see what SSA decides.

Did he acknowledge the children as his? Since you weren't married, there needs to be proof that he is the father.

But if his employer allowed him not to pay Social Security taxes, then there would be zero Social Security benefits, unless he had another employer and he did pay enough years into Social Security.

Yet another example of how paying into the Social Security system is not a waste of money. If many people were not forced to pay FICA taxes, they would not save a penny for death benefits for their children or disability benefits for themselves. And then they would be wondering why there is only welfare benefits for them, if they qualify.

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

Quote Quoting Janke
    View Post
    Yet another example of how paying into the Social Security system is not a waste of money. If many people were not forced to pay FICA taxes, they would not save a penny for death benefits for their children or disability benefits for themselves. And then they would be wondering why there is only welfare benefits for them, if they qualify.
    I'm sorry, but I'm a single parent who for the last 10 years hasn't paid into Social Security because my job didn't pay into the social security system and you know what I did for my child in the event that I died? I bought life insurance...

Social Security IS a joke. Dependent benefits would run out in just a couple of years for the OP when the children are no longer dependents and it's not that much money ANYWAY. Responsible parents ensure the financial security of their children and the government (welfare, social security or any other program) ISN'T security.
    If you wanted babies all to yourself, you should have created them by yourself. Until you do that, children have the right to BOTH parents, especially since you found them suitable to procreate with.

I doubt that the many of recipients who rely on Social Security as an important part of their income would agree with you that Social Security is a joke. Dependent benefits last until the child reaches age 18 and for the severely disabled children (think Down's syndrome or cerebral palsy), the survivor benefits continue into adulthood through their date of death. And the amounts are directly related to the amount of taxes paid in and the number of years the deceased parent worked. Can be under $100; can be $800. Surely anyone raising children would find $800 a month a significant amount of money to be used for the child.

I do agree that it is responsible for parents to ensure the financial security of their children but in the history of the world, not all parents have either the foresight or the wherewithal to do so; alternatives have included orphanages, workhouses and sweatshops as well as adoption by loving adults. Welfare and Social Security are considered safety nets. It is always difficult to agree on where to draw the line and often it depends upon what side of the line you are on.

1. Sponsored Links