Angry Doctor Abruptly Threatening to Stop Prescription of Pain Medication

My question involves medical malpractice in the state of: NY
    I have been seeing my Doctor for the last 2.5 years , I was originally prescribed 30mg of Oxycontin 6x a day . I have passed every drug test administered , I have never went to any other sites , or clinics to ask for additional medication . I have all the proper medical documentation with this doctor
    Me and my doctor agreed that he would ween me down of this medication . Over the last 7 months i have been getting my dosage lowered properly and as agreed , i have also been using the same pharmacy to fill my script to keep within the law . As of last month i have been taken down to 3 30 mg x a day. 90 per month .

As of yesterday when i went to visit the doctor to renew my prescription The doctor informed me that he will no longer prescribe me the medication for my pain because " The DEA has been cracking down on doctors who prescribe Oxycodone, and he no longer wants to prescribe this to avoid any potential issues( im not sure if this is just directed towards me or to everyone in his practice)..." this was his reason there is no other reason which was given to me . I didn't break any of the rules which i signed to be under this program . I asked him to send me to a different doctor , he refused. I was also denied any medicine to help with the Withdrawal, is this legal ? Can the doctor abruptly stop my medication after being on it for more then 2 years because of the reasons he provided? Dont i as a patient have rights ? I followed all the rules , there has been a real attempt to reduce this medication to a point where my pain is manageable . But can he just stop for the reason he provided ?

What should i do ?

Default Re: Doctor Abruptly Threatening to Stops Prescription of Pain Medication

I suggest you request he switch you to another medication or you seek another pain clinic. He has been very accommodating about lowering your threshold. It is perfectly legal to reduce or stop the amount you receive.

Default Re: Doctor Abruptly Threatening to Stop Prescription of Pain Medication

If you were on the verge of running out of medication, you might have convinced him to prescribe additional medication for a transition while you sought a new doctor. It's not clear either that you had a need for such a transitional prescription, or that you requested one and were denied.

As it stands, if you wish to continue to take Oxycontin or if you aren't being given an adequate taper or alternative, it would make sense to find another doctor to manage your pain condition.

Thank you for the quick reply
    Disagreeable
    unfortunately with the I-Bill in full swing finding a new doctor by myself is going to take a while .

Mr.Knowitall

I dont have any more medication , i come to the office on the exact day my medication is due to run out . I come to the office get a new script from my DR and go fill it at my pharmacy . He left me high and dry ,
    As for asking him for new medication , whats the point ? I mean if this medication has done wonders for my pain and has allowed me to work , take care of my family and live a normal life why am I to play guinea pig for various medication untill we find one that works . Im all for getting off oxy , and receive other medication which can help me live my life normally i , but why am i the one who has to suffer mentally and physically because my DR is worried the DEA will give him problems .

So legally , the DR has every right to stop my prescription due to the reasons provided? What about the potential for mental or physical damage due to cold turkey WD?

Thank you in advance for your time , i know you guys and gals do this as volunteers and it helps many of us find valuable answers

If you have withdraw problems, seek medical treatment for them.

You are free to go to a different doctor and to convince that doctor to prescribe Oxycontin. If it is improving your life with no addiction, misuse or drug-seeking problems, then it's not inappropriate to continue. If you choose not to look for a doctor who will continue your prescription, you know the consequence - I suggest looking.

I work for a doctor in Texas and what your doctor is telling you is the truth. He is not directing it directly at you but to all of his patients that take habit forming medications. The DEA is cracking down on the use of all bit forming medications. His DEA license probably restricts him quite a bit. If your pain is still an issue, ask for a referral to a pain management physician. Changing regular doctors WILL NOT fix your problem. You are going to run into the same issues.

As I suggested, request a switch to Norco or another opiate combo.

I knew someone who was prescribed oxy in large doses for a long time. (basically, the dr. was keeping her on it)
    She made the decision to get off of it, after speaking to her priest. She went cold turkey, and it was ugly. (and it's dangerous) I think it would be irresponsible for a doctor to put someone through the withdrawals that a long time user goes through without offering a patch of some sort or another way of minimizing the withdrawal's effects. (she was given some patches, but she decided not to use them)

A very quick search of cold turkey withdrawal of OxyContin shows that it is not considered to cause life threatening issues but the user will feel like he is dying.

OP should research the issue themselves. If they must go cold turkey, all they can really do is be aware of what they are facing and have a contact at their beck and call able to take them to the hospital if the situation warrants it.

1. Sponsored Links