Default Eviction Help

Is it legal for a landlord to send a notice of eviction through the U.S. Mail. I'am not sure of any of the Pennsylvania eviction laws, and I was sent a notice of eviction through the mail the post date was 10-23-06 but I didn't receive it until 10-28-06. It gives me until 10-31-06 to pay back rent, or be served by a magistrate to vacate immediately. I have lived here for 14 years in the same apartment with my daughter and have never had this problem before, until recently becoming disabled and unable to work. Please any advice would be most appreciated.

P.S. I do not have a written lease with this landlord if that makes a difference, thank you.

Default Re: Eviction Help

You should investigate further, but you may wish to start here:
    Quote Quoting The Eviction Notice
    The landlord must give the tenant written notice of the reason for the eviction and the date that the landlord wants the tenant to leave. NOTE: A written lease may provide for giving up the right to receive this eviction notice. The eviction notice must be personally delivered to the tenant or posted on the dwelling. An eviction notice, sent by mail is probably not enforceable

Question Re: Eviction Help

I wanted to follow up on my eviction status. I received the notice of intent to evict, and was told to pay up by 10-31-06 or the Landlord's Rental agency was going to file in district court, after I received the letter, the Rental agency called me by phone and asked if I had anywhere to go, and I answered truthfully that I didn't. She said she was filing in district court within a week, but as of yet to this date 11-17-2006 I still have not received anything to apear in district court for the eviction process. Is there a certain length of time they have to file in court after I receive the intent to evict from the Rental agency, because it has been almost 3 weeks and still nothing, this waiting has got me on edge? Will she have to send me another notice all over again or is the one she sent me weeks ago still valid? Thank you again for all your help.

You were served with notice, and you chose not to pay, so you can expect that they will file. It is possible that they have filed, but that you have not yet received notification of the eviction lawsuit.

panther10758 Guest

Depending on docket and other issues it could be sometime. I suggest that during this time you search for solutions as to where you will live! sitting there doing nothing and living there will NOT solve your problem

Post Re: Eviction Help

I just wanted to clarify that I have not "just been sitting around doing nothing" I have been contacting local and national agencies that offer to help in these situations, but without an official eviction notice they will not help, and they have also questioned as have I as to why nothing has been filed in this matter. That is why I am a bit confused.

panther10758 Guest

Yes you are correct many agencies that help people in your position require some form of evidence your in trouble with your Landlord and rent. It may be enough if you have an written document Letter from LL, three day pay rent or quit etc to take to these agencies.

as Panther advised, utilize the notice of intent to evict you have already recieved. That is proof of a problem.

The other point. Are you sure they are not simply giving you time to correct your lack of payment. Maybe they are actually trying to be nice and giving you extra time to do whatever you need to do?

You seem to believe lack of communication (on your part) will forestall the preceedings. It may actually cause them to inititate them if they were actually trying to help you where they could.

Talk to the folks. I don;t see how it can hurt.

panther10758 Guest

About 20 years ago I found myself is this situation. I sought help and was told proof was required. A reasonable request. That proof could be several things.

Eviction notice

Three Day pay rent of quit

Even a letter from Landlord demanding payment

I got letter mentioned got help and moved forward

1. Sponsored Links