Default If a Friend Borrows and Crashes Your Car, Who Pays for the Damage

My question involves a traffic accident in the State of: CA
    I asked a friend to back my truck into my driveway to load some stuff. He backed into the solid steel mailbox post and did apporx $1500 damage to vehicle.
    He apologized and offered to "pay for everything"...Right. Now, not so much. I can't get him to return phone calls or emails. I just learned that he cancelled his car insurance with one company and move over to another. I do not know which.

How can I gain repayment? I can just file a claim with AAA (my carrier) and pay my $1000 deductible. Fine, but then what....How can I collect? Can I sue in small claims court? If so under what precedent? "he broke my stuff and needs to pay for it" law?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Default Re: Are You Liable if You Lend a Car to Somebody Who Crashes It

Ouch!!! You must have a Silverado. The bumper is for "ornamentation purposes only". The JCWhitney replacement version is great and cost a fraction of the amount. The only real difference is the little cut out area in the center, where only an idiot would put a hitch ball is not on the Whitney version.

He was acting as your agent. You can certainly attempt to sue him, however, you had him engaged in a work activity on your property when the issue occurred. A judge might throw it out.

Default Re: If a Friend Borrows and Crashes Your Car, Who Pays for the Damage

Quote Quoting Genechip
    View Post
    My question involves a traffic accident in the State of: CA
    I asked a friend to back my truck into my driveway to load some stuff. He backed into the solid steel mailbox post and did apporx $1500 damage to vehicle.
    He apologized and offered to "pay for everything"...Right. Now, not so much. I can't get him to return phone calls or emails. I just learned that he cancelled his car insurance with one company and move over to another. I do not know which.

How can I gain repayment? I can just file a claim with AAA (my carrier) and pay my $1000 deductible. Fine, but then what....How can I collect? Can I sue in small claims court? If so under what precedent? "he broke my stuff and needs to pay for it" law?

Thanks for any help or advice.
    Sue your friend in small claims court. yes, the he-broke-my-stuff defense is suitable for your case.

Default Re: If a Friend Borrows and Crashes Your Car, Who Pays for the Damage

a cheap $1500 lesson .. do not hand your cars keys over to anyone...you may be liable for damages caused...

1. Sponsored Links