Question Home Quit Claim Deed vs Forced Divorce Decree Sale of Home

My girlfriend's ex-husband is threatening to force the sale of her house. He quick deeded the house to her 5-years ago, because he felt this house really belonged to her and he was tired of paying the home taxes on it. Note that he was required to pay the taxes on the home, per their divorce decree, which occurred 10-years ago. However, he is unhappy that I live in her home now. Therefore, he is insisting that he has the right to force the sale of her home. Note that their divorced decree from 10-years ago states that once her youngest child reaches the age of 18 or once she (my girlfriend) cohabitates with a member of the opposite sex, the home would be sold and proceeds would be equally shared. Both are true; but does he have the right to force a sale of her home, once he decided to quick deed the home to her because he did not wish to pay the taxes on the home?

Default Re: Home Quick Deed vs Forced Divorce Decree Sale of Home

If he conveyed all of his interest in the home to her through a quit claim deed, then he has no further interest in the home. Having not seen the title work or divorce judgment, I would suggest that your girlfriend have both reviewed by a local lawyer so as to be clear on her rights.

Smile Re: Home Quit Claim Deed vs Forced Divorce Decree Sale of Home

Thank you very much. I feel much better about this situation, however I will seek professional counsel on the matter, as suggested by you.

Sincerely,

1. Sponsored Links