Exclamation Traded in a Vehicle Two Years Ago, and It's Still Registered n My Name

My question involves civil rights in the State of: WV

I am not sure if this falls under "Civil Rights", however, today I went to pay for my expired registration on my vehicle, when doing so the sheriff's department told me I still have a 2002 Toy Rav 4 in my name, which I had traded in back in Feb, 2011 and which has been accumulating taxes. The sheriff's department asked me to go to the dealership and get proof of purchase showing the date I last had it in my possession. I went straight to the dealership and ironically was able to talk to the actual Sales Manager who sold me the new vehicle. When I traded in my Rav 4 I signed over the title and also paid transfer fees. What I found out today was that the car has never been changed out of my name, the dealership sold the car to a local auto auction while the title was still in my name, then the local auction sold the vehicle with the title still in my name. This car is now somewhere out of the state I live in, still in my name. I asked the Sales Manager how to fix this issue and after he called the DMV verifying the car was still in my name, he asked me to sign a piece of paper showing only the date I traded in the car and a line with an "x" drawn on the paper by the Sales Manager for me to sign, no form, no proof of title transfer. I refused to sign the paper and asked him how this could have been done legally. He refused to answer me, I got upset and told him I would speak with a lawyer, I also asked him for a copy of the proof of purchase so I could legalize my vehicle and he crumbled up the piece of paper in his hand refusing to even make a copy or keep it for legal records. I am now unable to register my car, keeping me from utilizing my vehicle. I do not know what to do or what steps to take, any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Default Re: Car Dealership Neglegence, Title of Car Traded Still in My Name Since 2011, Need

do you have a bill of sale or contract noting that ownership was transferred. Its likely that the buyer did not follow the law in respect to the time requirements for transfer of registration.

I would imagine that you could pay any taxes owed and sue the purchaser for your loss.

Default Re: Traded in a Vehicle Two Years Ago, and It's Still Registered n My Name

Quote Quoting AshleeS
    View Post
    My question involves civil rights in the State of: WV

I am not sure if this falls under "Civil Rights", however, today I went to pay for my expired registration on my vehicle, when doing so the sheriff's department told me I still have a 2002 Toy Rav 4 in my name, which I had traded in back in Feb, 2011 and which has been accumulating taxes. The sheriff's department asked me to go to the dealership and get proof of purchase showing the date I last had it in my possession. I went straight to the dealership and ironically was able to talk to the actual Sales Manager who sold me the new vehicle. When I traded in my Rav 4 I signed over the title and also paid transfer fees. What I found out today was that the car has never been changed out of my name, the dealership sold the car to a local auto auction while the title was still in my name, then the local auction sold the vehicle with the title still in my name. This car is now somewhere out of the state I live in, still in my name. I asked the Sales Manager how to fix this issue and after he called the DMV verifying the car was still in my name, he asked me to sign a piece of paper showing only the date I traded in the car and a line with an "x" drawn on the paper by the Sales Manager for me to sign, no form, no proof of title transfer. I refused to sign the paper and asked him how this could have been done legally. He refused to answer me, I got upset and told him I would speak with a lawyer, I also asked him for a copy of the proof of purchase so I could legalize my vehicle and he crumbled up the piece of paper in his hand refusing to even make a copy or keep it for legal records. I am now unable to register my car, keeping me from utilizing my vehicle. I do not know what to do or what steps to take, any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!
    It sounds like you are going to have to sue to the dealership.

1. Sponsored Links