Hybrid View

Default Reclaiming Unclaimed Funds from a Trust

My question involves estate proceedings in the state of: New York
    I hope someone can help. I have unclaimed funds held by NY Comptroller's Office. My identity has been verified and accepted by the NY Office of Unclaimed Funds. NYOUF requires proof of the original trust from the bank that turned over the funds in 1993. After 2 years, the bank (CitiTrust) still cannot or will not produce the documents. I have provided all historical documents to the bank including the bank's own documents for a distribution to me from another trust under the same will in 2006. The trust officer at the bank recognizes that the funds belong to me but continues to say that the information cannot be found (i.e. death certificate, letter of trusteeship, etc) and they're trying to find them. They've handled the trusts under this will since 1929. They have to have the records. What can I do? Do I hire an attorney in NY or in the state I live in? Is there another way to get the cooperation of the bank? I'm at a loss. I started this process in January 2011 and it is so close to being resolved.

Default Re: Reclaiming Unclaimed Funds from Trust

If the issue is that the bank says "We have records, we just can't find them", I'm not sure that hiring a lawyer will help them find the records any faster - but if you want, that's an option. Why doesn't anybody else have records? If this is a will from 1929 and a trust that continues through the present, it's difficult to believe that there wouldn't be trustee(s), beneficiaries or law firms that have been involved along the way and might have copies of the relevant documents.

It's easy enough for you to get a replacement death certificate, if that's the hold-up.

Default Re: Reclaiming Unclaimed Funds from Trust

Thank you, Mr. Knowitall, for your response. Unfortunately, Citi controlled each of the 6 trusts under his will. They were the administrators and made each distribution. I sent the Citi Trust officer, who worked to distribute one of the trusts in 2006, copies of all of the paperwork from that trust which included a copy of the will. They said they were looking for his death certificate (which they should have already had). I found that there is not one. He died abroad and the papers filed at the French consulate in Paris was accepted in place of a US Death Certificate. I found a copy online and sent her that also. There is nothing they don't have. That's what is so frustrating. I guess they're hoping I just die off. The comptroller's office has accepted my identity and relationship to the point that they sent me a notice of the amount and the name of the Citi trust officer who turned the funds over to them. Of course, he has long since retired. I passed all of that on to Citi also. It just makes no sense. Just a copy of the letter of trusteeship before the trust was dissolved and the funds turned over. Unless there is something they don't want uncovered. But Citi is far to big to be worried about this. AArrrGGGhhhh! Again, thanks so much for your response.

1. Sponsored Links