Default How Can I Make My Roommate Move Out

My question involves an eviction in the state of: New York

Hello there,

2 years ago we moved into this house with my current roommate. First year, we had the contract but second year throughout now we don't have any contract with the landlords.

A couple of weeks ago we got into conflict with my roommate and I talked to my landlords and they are willing to sign the lease on my name. My sister is coming from another state and we will be living together. Also, all the bills on my roommates name as of now.

My question is; if we sign the contract which is starting from August what are my options if she is noy willing to move out?

Also, the bills are on her name but i am the one who will sign the contract with landlords, since she is on bills, would it be a problem when i started the eviction process? Or the law only cares about who is on the contract?

Thank you.

Default Re: How Can I Make My Roommate Move Out

If your landlord wants to end your roommate's status as a tenant, your landlord had best give her proper notice of the termination of her tenancy.

You're not the landlord, and thus have no standing to evict a co-tenant.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    If your landlord wants to end your roommate's status as a tenant, your landlord had best give her proper notice of the termination of her tenancy.

You're not the landlord, and thus have no standing to evict a co-tenant.
    I have no standing as of now. I am signing the contract starting from August. So in August techinically I am the only tenant in here and I can start the procedure of evicting other person, right?

If your name is going to be the only one on the contract, the landlords/property managers will notify the co-tenant that s/he will be required to be out by a certain date, as a 'new' tenant will be taking over. You can definitely tell your roommate that you will be signing the lease by yourself starting August. But you do not own the property, you cannot evict anyone. The landlords will be responsible for giving proper notice to any other current tenants/

1. Sponsored Links