Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2013

    Default How to Enforce a State Judgment in Federal Court

    My question involves judgment recovery in the State of:Tennessee

    My client has a judgment in his favor from Louisiana. The debtor has another case pending in Tennessee Federal Court where he likely will receive a settlement payout that will cover his debt to my client. I have enrolled my client's LA judgment in Tennessee court making in enforceable. How do I now put a lien on the federal court case? Do I have to intervene in the pending case? Is there another way to ensure that should the debtor obtain a settlement my client as a creditor gets paid out of it?


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Behind a Desk

    Default Re: How to Enforce a State Judgment in Federal Court

    What you would normally do is to try to garnish the defendant once they're in the position of being a judgment creditor, or garnish the account into which the settlement check is deposited.

    Is there any chance that the defense firm would cooperate with you?

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Civil Procedure Issues: Relitigating a State Case in Federal Court
    By ghenke in forum Civil Procedure
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-27-2011, 06:44 AM
  2. Interstate Issues: Raising Federal Defenses to Collection in a State Court
    By Jople in forum Civil Procedure
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-11-2011, 02:10 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-10-2010, 06:14 PM
  4. Interstate Issues: Federal vs. State Judgment Enforcement
    By Hermano in forum Civil Procedure
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-07-2010, 07:44 PM
  5. Chapter 7: State Court Rules Differnt Than Federal Court
    By dr97457 in forum Bankruptcy Law
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-15-2008, 02:31 AM
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources