Default Suing Over Harassing Phone Messages

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: VA

A relative left harrassing voice messages on my phone during a 7 month period. The messages contained insults and both indirect veiled threats and direct threats, including to call social services on my children, call my work and in general terms bring me down. I have all of these messages on tape, including my repeated requests for him to stop contacting me. Can I sue him for harrassment and claim emotional damages? Does it matter if he did this from another state?

Default Re: Lawsuit for Harrassment and Emotional Damages

Wow, posting your email address here, that's brave! You do realize that if you do sue, everything you say here's going to end up in court?

That said, what did the cops say when you reported this to them?

ooops, didn't know I posted my email, first time using this site, will be more careful next time

Quote Quoting jsthomas9@hotmail.com
    View Post

A relative left harrassing voice messages on my phone during a 7 month period. The messages contained insults and both indirect veiled threats and direct threats, including to call social services on my children, call my work and in general terms bring me down. I have all of these messages on tape, including my repeated requests for him to stop contacting me. Can I sue him for harrassment and claim emotional damages? Does it matter if he did this from another state?
    Let me ask you this: How much money and time do you have to invest? If you have several thousand dollars laying around and plenty of time to achieve absodanglutely nothing, I say contact an attorney. If not then let it go.

View Post

A relative left harrassing voice messages on my phone during a 7 month period. The messages contained insults and both indirect veiled threats and direct threats, including to call social services on my children, call my work and in general terms bring me down. I have all of these messages on tape, including my repeated requests for him to stop contacting me. Can I sue him for harrassment and claim emotional damages?
    Sure.

Anybody can sue anybody for anything. Your chances of winning, though, are very slim.

View Post
    Does it matter if he did this from another state?
    No.

You'll just have to sue him where he lives. That means you travel to his court as often as required and you have to take time off from work, neither of which you get compensated for.

What you should have done from the getgo was take out a restraining order in his court for civil harassment. The next time after that was served you call the police and get him arrested.

You can still take out a restraining order if the behavior is still going on.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Sure.

Anybody can sue anybody for anything. Your chances of winning, though, are very slim.

No.

You'll just have to sue him where he lives. That means you travel to his court as often as required and you have to take time off from work, neither of which you get compensated for.

What you should have done from the getgo was take out a restraining order in his court for civil harassment. The next time after that was served you call the police and get him arrested.

You can still take out a restraining order if the behavior is still going on.
    The OP can also change their phone number

1. Sponsored Links