Angry Used Employee Discount and then Sold Some Items Online

My question involves criminal law for the state of: New York

Work for Verizon we get a discount on accessories I have purchased a few with my employee discount then my roommate resold them online. They noticed and started asking questions. I know I can get fired and if I do well then so be it but can they press any criminal charges on me. they asked me to sign a statement admitting I had done so and I refused and requested a lawyer I was then told my statement was completely voluntary and would not be considered when the upper management looks into the matter because I did not sign. Asked for a copy of the statement to have a lawyer review it then I would sign they said no and said go back to work. Can I get in any legal trouble for this All of the items that were purchased were 100% by me with my own credit card never anyone elses. My store manager knew exactly what was going on I had asked him prior if it was ok he said he checked policy and nothing stated otherwise he even sold me some of the items but the Loss Prevention seems to think otherwise. I did gift them to a room mate and he sold them for whatever sometimes made a profit sometimes just broke even no profit. Can I face anything else besides termination from my job?

Default Re: Used Employee Discount and then Sold Some Items Online is This Illegal

See...when you bought the item at the employee discount and sold them yourself, you cheated Verizon out of sales and profit.

So yes, aside from being fired (and not able to collect Unemployment), you may face some Criminal charges as well.

Default Re: Used Employee Discount and then Sold Some Items Online is This Illegal

But still I purchased them once you purchase something should it be yours and be allowed to do whatever it is you please with something you paid for. I mean customers can get the same discount even around Christmas time they get 5% more then I even got so it cant be that much loss for the company if they give customers more then the employees right.

I seriously doubt that your employer could make any criminal charges stick nor is it likely that the authorities would even get involved.

However, it's true that you can be fired for it.

But worse than that, if what you did violated company policy you could be denied unemployment compensation due to misconduct.

And that's gonna hurt.

Your employee handbook likely tells you that your employee discount is for YOU and Immediate family members (aka, spouse, minor children).

Charges will depend on if LP turns over the case to the Prosecutor and if the Prosecutor wants to deal with it...

I don't think LP will buy the "I bought gifts for my roomie and roomie sold them". Because there are those pieces of paper called receipts and gift receipts. Quantity of items may also be looked into. If asked about it again, lawyer up.

violating a contract or policy is not theft, if you violate policy you can be fired, denied unemployment, and if asked by future prospective employers they could even tell them why you were fired, likely torpedoing any job offer.

so if this is a hypothetical question you should not do what you were thinking of, if it's a "I already did this how screwed am i" the answer is moderately, and start looking for another job now.

I did check my company policy it says employees are allowwed to gift or sell accessories but if it is for profit it is a violation of policy and could result up to and including termination.

Based on what you wrote you can and should be fired, but criminal charges no.

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

Default Re: Used Employee Discount and then Sold Some Items Online

You didn't gift something to someone and they "sometimes just broke even no profit." You don't buy gifts, so there is no profit to be had. I'm not sure who you think you're fooling, but I guarantee you that the higher ups would be a bit smarter than you.
    If you wanted babies all to yourself, you should have created them by yourself. Until you do that, children have the right to BOTH parents, especially since you found them suitable to procreate with.

1. Sponsored Links