Default Held Responsible for the Registration of Another Person's Vehicle

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: CA

Back in 4-13-11 I was driving my friends vehicle and was pulled over for expired registration. My friend who the vehicle is registered in her name was a front seat passenger. The officer was informed by her that she was the registered owner & provided proof of it to the officer. You would think that the officer would of given her the ix it ticket after providing the proof that she was the registered owner of the vehicle. Shortly after that I lost contact with that individual from what I know they never paid the registration on the vehicle & was informed that she sold the vehicle with the expired registration. I had no idea what so ever that the tags were expired and the reason I was driving her in the first place was because she had been drinking & I don't drink that is the only reason why I was driving her in her own vehicle. Now as a result of that fix it ticket I got so that I can be responsible for someone else's registration to get paid. How and the hell can you hold me responsible for something I have no control over and is the owners responsibility. Now my license has been suspended and I owe $1,418.00 fine. I left out that my female bud was a trans sexual and was a bit flirtatious with the officer. I believe by her trying to flirt with the officer made him uncomfortable, because I know it made me feel that way. I believe now that is the reason why he gave that to me so he wouldn't have to deal with her. Please I know what the law states so save the sarcastic "But the law states that" replies the law isn't always black and white. Does anyone have any useful information to help me or should I bite the bullet and just hire an attorney?

Default Re: Held Responsible for the Registration of Another Person's Vehicle

If you drive a vehicle, it's your responsibility to make sure that it's registered and insured.

You appear to be stating that, as the only person associated with this vehicle is you, you are being assessed for the registration fees your 'friend' was supposed to pay. Apparently the state believes that the vehicle was yours.

Quote Quoting fresnodude
    View Post
    My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: CA

Back in 4-13-11 I was driving my friends vehicle and was pulled over for expired registration. My friend who the vehicle is registered in her name was a front seat passenger. The officer was informed by her that she was the registered owner & provided proof of it to the officer. You would think that the officer would of given her the ix it ticket after providing the proof that she was the registered owner of the vehicle. Shortly after that I lost contact with that individual from what I know they never paid the registration on the vehicle & was informed that she sold the vehicle with the expired registration. I had no idea what so ever that the tags were expired and the reason I was driving her in the first place was because she had been drinking & I don't drink that is the only reason why I was driving her in her own vehicle. Now as a result of that fix it ticket I got so that I can be responsible for someone else's registration to get paid. How and the hell can you hold me responsible for something I have no control over and is the owners responsibility. Now my license has been suspended and I owe $1,418.00 fine. I left out that my female bud was a trans sexual and was a bit flirtatious with the officer. I believe by her trying to flirt with the officer made him uncomfortable, because I know it made me feel that way. I believe now that is the reason why he gave that to me so he wouldn't have to deal with her. Please I know what the law states so save the sarcastic "But the law states that" replies the law isn't always black and white. Does anyone have any useful information to help me or should I bite the bullet and just hire an attorney?

Don't ever operate a vehicle on the roads of the State of California that is not registered and/or does not have insurance. You should have let your transgender friend take a taxi.

So, YOU were issued the citation. As such, I assume you showed up in court. What happened when you went to court on the matter?

Or, did you just tell the registered owner to take care of it and you ignored the promise to appear that YOU signed?

If you failed to appear you might consider contacting the court and seeing if they will agree to schedule a new hearing for you. You might be granted the chance to do this, but you might very well still have to pay the fines but, perhaps, the assessed penalties will be waived.

1. Sponsored Links