Default Ticketed for Going Through Traffic Light That Was Not Working

Hi:

I have never had a ticket in my 7 years of driving since I moved to Maryland. Last month I got a ticket in the mail saying that the camera captured me running a red light. Traffic here is so fast and I did not know the area and could not stop. The ticket came with an explanation saying that paying this ticket will not affect my insurance or anything, so I just paid it.

This weekend I was trying to make a left turn, but the light would not turn from red to green. We waited for 5 minutes and all the other sides had red/green lights working and we kept waiting and waiting. Finally concluding that the light was malfunctioning we decided to turn using caution of course. The moment we turned police officer stopped us saying that we crossed the red light. We said that we knew because it was not working. He said we should not have crossed anyways and he would write us a ticket. After he came back with a ticket he said that maybe the light or the sensor was malfunctioning.

Now I do not know what to do. Should I fight it or pay it? Will it affect my driving reccord or insurance? I am very upset with that and have no clue what to do. I checked the internet but no specific answers. PLEASE HELP!
    Thanks

Default Re: Ticketed for Going Through Traffic Light That Was Not Working

That's a considerable problem but a great question! I was, personally, involved with a similar situation almost a year ago which involved a signal that wouldn't change for my motorcycle....I fought it in court and I won. It isn't easy to do and I was the only "winner" I saw that day but I came prepared.

It's most helpful to prepare your case by checking to see what your state law is regarding the treatment of a 'non-functional' traffic signal. I can assure you that it is addressed within the traffic code. Be familiar with EXACTLY what it says and base your case accordingly.

In your summation, you should state that you felt you were hostage to a machine that was malfunctioning...you had no idea when it would change..or WHETHER it ever would. How long would a reasonable person wait??? 2 minutes??...5 minutes????....10 minutes??? I think not!!

Be patient, prudent and respectful...and I believe you will prevail. Please let us know!!

Default Re: Ticketed for Going Through Traffic Light That Was Not Working

Thank you
    I researched more and came accross this. Maryland law says:

" (b) (1) If a provision of the Maryland Vehicle Law or of an ordinance or regulation of a local authority requires a traffic control device, the provision is unenforceable against an alleged violator if, at the time and place of the alleged violation, the traffic control device is not in proper position and legible enough to be seen by an ordinarily observant individual. "

In that case, does that also maen if it is not working?

They also say that if the police officer does not show up, you automatically win the case. I will keep my fingers crossed.

1. Sponsored Links