Default Termination Letter Included Fallacies and Mitigating Circumstances

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: District of Columbia

I worked in Washington DC for an assocation

I was terminated July 12 but in my termination letter there are many falacies included and I can prove this because there was no communication sent to me by anyone including managers about the issues they state for my termination.

There is one reason they included in the letter for termination was that I lied about setting up my Outlook Out Of Office Email. I did set this up but the story is this:
    My boss can go off on people and this makes me nervous when I see him about to try and give me a lecture, I was out of the office and closed my Outlook, my out of office replies did not go out although later i learned that they should have and Outlook wasn't working correctly

when i got back in front of my computer I read my emails and saw that my boss was upset and was going to drill me about my out of office not being setup, I thought it was my fault for closing outlook so i told
    him my power went out (which it didn't) and my outlook was closed and out of office didn't fire.

Long story short I confessed the next day when i realized what had happened, it wasn't my failure but that of Outlook and the email service my organization (employer)

He continued to say in the termination letter that I didnt' set this up and he never investigated.

The reason I post this is because if my lie was enough to terminate then why bring up other fallacies. Other fallacies include that I was address about challenges with my work process not product and he states that this was an ongoing issue. I was address about this issue verbally 3 months after I started and never had a problem since, there were no written or verbal communications to show otherwise.

There is something not right here, why lie about other issues if the core issue was enough to terminate. I believe there were mitigating circumstances and that under duress I lied.

Default Re: Termination Letter Included Fallacies and Mitigating Circumstances

Do you have a question?

It is legal to fire you for telling a lie. We have no way of knowing why your former employer added all that other stuff to the termination letter, however, your termination was legal.

Who cares? Your employer is permitted to terminate you for any reason not prohibited by law. Your feelings being hurt are irrelevant.

Thanks for the response.

My question is that this lie i told was brought on by duress and the failure of the companies equipment and services, I was put in a position that wasn't in my control could this create mitigating circumstances?

Secondly my manager put in other fallacies to support the decision for my termination, the lie wasn't the core reason, in the entire letter only one short paragraph was about this lie and the incident leading to it, seems as though he felt the lie wasn't enough and that he needed to add other reasons. So essentially now he's lying on my termination letter.

I was subject to an unfair enforcement of rules, my voice mail, out of office emails are not part of the employee handbook and there is no documentation outlining the standards and requirements of formats as was harshly enforced upon me. I feel there was unfair treatment in this manner, could this be considered biased and a basis for discrimination because of the unfair enforcement of unwritten standards?

appreciate the insight

Quote Quoting akhanmac
    View Post
    Thanks for the response.

My question is that this lie i told was brought on by duress and the failure of the companies equipment and services, I was put in a position that wasn't in my control could this create mitigating circumstances?

Secondly my manager put in other fallacies to support the decision for my termination, the lie wasn't the core reason, in the entire letter only one short paragraph was about this lie and the incident leading to it, seems as though he felt the lie wasn't enough and that he needed to add other reasons. So essentially now he's lying on my termination letter.

I was subject to an unfair enforcement of rules, my voice mail, out of office emails are not part of the employee handbook and there is no documentation outlining the standards and requirements of formats as was harshly enforced upon me. I feel there was unfair treatment in this manner, could this be considered biased and a basis for discrimination because of the unfair enforcement of unwritten standards?

appreciate the insight
    Unless the lie had anything to do with your gender, sexual orientation or religion, you aren't even in the realm of this being a wrongful termination.

Quote Quoting akhanmac
    View Post
    Thanks for the response.

appreciate the insight
    Yes, it is legal for an employer to terminate an employee for dishonesty of any kind, whether intentional or unintentional.

Chk your local laws - you maybe able to write a re-rebuttal response and have it placed into your file...

Valuable Lesson #3 (numbers 1 and 2 are over on FA):

The law doesn't change from forum to forum.

is that this lie i told was brought on by duress and the failure of the companies equipment and services, I was put in a position that wasn't in my control could this create mitigating circumstances?

Suppose it did. What difference do you think it would make?

1. Sponsored Links