Default Disclosing a Criminal History When Applying for a Job

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: North Carolina

I was offered a job today as a software engineer with a really nice salary: $125k + benefits, contingent on a background check. I was honest on the background information. In 2011 I went through a nasty divorce. My ex wife took out a restraining order against me the day we split up per her lawyer. We would go to court and she wouldn't show up and it would get continued, or she would show up and her lawyer wouldnt etc. So after about 4 months of not seeing my kids, I called and asked to see them and got locked up. I plead guilty and did 3 months of probation. After the 3 months we took the case back to court, and they suspended my sentence for the remainder of the probation. I was honest and disclosed this on the application. What do employers look for? Is it to my benefit that I was honest? Does this blemish on my report (if it even shows) hurt me greatly?

What types of crimes typically exclude you?

Default Re: Disclosing a Criminal History When Applying for a Job

This is something that different employers will view differently. There's no "one size fits all" answer.

Default Re: Disclosing a Criminal History When Applying for a Job

If they offered you the job after reading all that on your application I doubt if there will be any issues about it.

1. Sponsored Links