Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Loan Modification Without Second Owner's Knowledge

I am confused. I thought mortgage was the owner's allowing the mortgage company to mortgage the property. Note is a promissory note to pay the loan back. I never signed the note but I am on the mortgage. In this case, was the mortgage company supposed to ask me when they modified the loan?

Quote Quoting WhoDat
    View Post
    I am confused. I thought mortgage was the owner's allowing the mortgage company to mortgage the property. Note is a promissory note to pay the loan back. I never signed the note but I am on the mortgage. In this case, was the mortgage company supposed to ask me when they modified the loan?
    Do you have a copy of the deed from when you bought the house?

Do you have a copy of the mortgage from when you bought the house?

If no to both questions, then you can get copies from the county recorder's (or land records office) website or office and take them home and read them.

The documents (and any other documents with your and your husband's name on them) should answer your questions.

But you will remain confused until you dig up your paperwork.

Yes, I am on the deed and I am on the mortgage. The loan is not on my name, just the ex-husband's. In that scenario, is the mortgage company supposed to ask me when modifying the loan?
    Thanks

Quote Quoting WhoDat
    View Post
    Yes, I am on the deed and I am on the mortgage. The loan is not on my name, just the ex-husband's.
    If you are on the mortgage you are on the loan. A mortgage is a loan or, at least, it's evidence of a loan secured by the house. Generally you can't be on one without being on the other.

Wait.

Are you saying that you were on the original mortgage but you aren't on your husband's current loan?

Quote Quoting WhoDat
    View Post
    is the mortgage company supposed to ask me when modifying the loan?
    Really, there is no way of telling without reading all of your paperwork. And since we can't do that from here, I suggest you take all your paperwork to an attorney and have him/her advise you.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2