Default How can i file my divorce in Dubai, UAE

[]

Dear Sir/Madam

I would like to introduce myself as Miss Li [], I am a 28 year old female of Chinese nationality and have worked and lived in Dubai, United Arab Emirates for almost eight years.

On April 9th 2005 I married Mr. Dan [], a US citizen at the United Christian Church of Dubai, ([]).

Mr. [] left Dubai one week after we were married to the US and since that time I have had no contact with him despite my numerous emails and telephone calls to him.

I would like to get our marriage annulled and start divorce proceedings but as I do not understand the procedure I would like to seek your assistance in what I should do or which department or people I need to contact

Mr. [] and I have no children, property or financial commitments and I have never domiciled with him as husband and wife

Our marriage certificate was issued from the church in Dubai and although verified by the Dubai government, we did not register it at either the Chinese or USA embassies.

I seek no financial assistance in the form of any alimony, nor too do I seek to make any claim against Mr. [], I only seek a divorce from this person and have the marriage annulled.

I sincerely trust you will be able to assist me in obtaining information on the correct legal procedure and who or which authorized governmental department I have to approach. Should you require any further information regarding this matter please do not hesitate to contact me at the address given above.

[Do not name other people in your posts. Thanks, Admin]

Default Re: How can i file my divorce in Dubai, UAE

I don't believe anybody here is proficient in UAE law.

As Aaron said it is unlikely there is anyone here available to answer your question as to UAE family law. So your best advice would be to consult an attorney in the UAE. Since you indicated that your "marriage" was not registered with either UAE or US Embassay, it is very possible that you may not have a valid marriage in the first place and you may be able to divorce/annul your "marriage" under UAE law, depending on the specific court of jurisdiction. Here is a referance to an article on this issue by AI and they may be of some assistance. If your "husband" is a USC, was he also in the US military? A foreign national working in Dubai for an American or internaitonal cooporation? Do you know whether or not he was actually free to marry? Were you trying to get a green card to enter the USA?

http://web.amnesty.org/library/index/engmde040042005
    4.1.5 Khulu’ (tafreeq)

Khulu’ is the annulment of a marriage, and is usually initiated by the wife. Most schools regard khulu’ as the wife’s right to release herself from the marriage contract. Under khulu’,the husband is asked by the personal status court to accept the returnof money, goods or benefit in kind, which he gave his wife as mahar, and divorce his wife. Women need not provide a reason for why they seek khulu’ nor do they have to show harm or dharraron the part of the husband. However, they may have to pay compensationto the husband in return for having the marriage contract annulled. Inaddition, they are not entitled to compensation since there is no dharrarfor which they should be compensated. However, as AI research hasshown, women normally resort to it in cases where no judicial findingof dharrar has been made.

Under khulu’ the contractual obligations arising out ofthe marriage cease and the position of both parties reverts to thesituation before marriage. Therefore, if a man paid mahar of a certain amount, the wife must return that amount to him. The decision about how much is to be paid or how to settle khulu’cases is often reached with the judge’s close involvement, as is thecase in all divorce cases which are initiated by women. It is notuncommon for a woman to find that she not only has to pay back mahar butalso has to pay compensation. In some cases this can involve womenbeing forced to give up the family home or even custody of theirchildren.

Thanks for the reply. I would like to mention that I and my ex are not Muslim too. Our marriage certificate was issued from the church in Dubai and although verified by the Dubai government, we did not register it at either the Chinese or USA embassies.

He is not a US military and not a national worker too in Dubai. We met each other through from net. I think he is free to marry because I had his divorce paper copy in my hand now. Absolutely I am not looking for money or green card. I just trusted him that he fly so far away see me from USA and would like to get marry with me. I did not think that he is a relationship cheater.

Please consult an attorney in Dubai.

1. Sponsored Links