Default Used Car Dealership Taking Us for All We Have

My question involves vehicle maintenance laws for the State of: Missouri

A little background. I have been going to this shop since May of 2012 when I began purchasing a Dodge Caravan. This van was in the shop for MULTIPLE problems the entire year we had it and by multiple I mean that it was in the shop almost two weeks every month and one month it was in there shop an entire month. After almost a year they finally allowed us to get a different vehicle and accredit the payments to it. My new van I got in January of this year. It has been in the shop also almost every month for problems such as having to get a new alternator, oil line, cylinoid, AC is out, Widow has now gone out and my dials spin in circles while I am driving. Today I went to get two new tires from a different car shop and they almost wouldn't let me drive it home because the passenger tie rod ends and ball joint were so bad I watched them move my tire up and down back and forth. It was just in my other shop last week and they told my Boyfriend it was driving funny because of something to do with the cylinoid. I put my two small children in this vehicle and now I will not drive it because it terrify's me. My question is, is there anything I can do? I do not know much about cars and know even less about law. The shop I was in today said that the tye rod ends and ball joint being this bad means that it should not have passed inspection before the shop gave it to me (they do the inspections themselves before they sell there vehicles). I am still doing payments on this car for the next year in a half. I have been told I can call the hwy patrol and file a claim against them and the highway patrol will seek restitution for us? I have spent allot of money and time into getting a car from these people and I have a very low income. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Used Car Dealership Taking Us for All We Have

Do not buy cars until they have been inspected by a professional mechanic. Have your vehicles periodically inspected as your knowledge of vehicles may get you killed some day.

Does not sound like you purchased a "new" vehicle. Who told you that you can file a complaint with the hwy patrol? This is not a criminal matter.

You should have had the vehicle inspected by another shop prior to purchasing if you have limited knowledge of vehicles.

And you are free to get 2nd opinions on issues.

But it sounds like you trusted the opinion and the work done so that the vehicles may have actually needed all this work. They are mechanical devices and previous owners may have driven it hard and neglected it.
    Unfortunately, you are the recipient of the previous owners' treatment.

I doubt you have a bad "cylinoid" as this device does not exist to my knowledge.

I've bought used cars and have had the same issues (except that I fixed them myself, being a fair mechanic and cars were simpler back then~very few wrenches other than mine have touch my vehicles).

As far as your current vehicle .. it's yours. You can sell it and pay off some of the loan or buy a new vehicle.

I would not buy a car from a repair shop myself. And I always have cars inspected prior to purchase by a party who has my interest at heart.

Quote Quoting MelisanBrown
    View Post
    I have been going to this shop since May of 2012 when I began purchasing a Dodge Caravan. This van was in the shop for MULTIPLE problems the entire year we had it and by multiple I mean that it was in the shop almost two weeks every month and one month it was in there shop an entire month. After almost a year they finally allowed us to get a different vehicle and accredit the payments to it.
    This is a "buy here, pay here" type of arrangement? Were the repairs made under warranty?
    My new van I got in January of this year. It has been in the shop also almost every month for problems such as having to get a new alternator, oil line, cylinoid, AC is out, Widow has now gone out and my dials spin in circles while I am driving.
    What does "my dials spin in circles" mean?

This was the best vehicle on the lot when you 'traded in' your prior vehicle? These repairs are under warranty?
    Today I went to get two new tires from a different car shop and they almost wouldn't let me drive it home because the passenger tie rod ends and ball joint were so bad I watched them move my tire up and down back and forth.
    But they ultimately decided that the vehicle was safe to drive?
    My question is, is there anything I can do?
    What is it that you want to do? Among the options that exist: You can try to negotiate something with the seller (again). You can sell the van and buy a vehicle elsewhere.
    The shop I was in today said that the tye rod ends and ball joint being this bad means that it should not have passed inspection before the shop gave it to me (they do the inspections themselves before they sell there vehicles).
    How many miles have you put onto the vehicle since you purchased it six months ago?
    I have been told I can call the hwy patrol and file a claim against them and the highway patrol will seek restitution for us?
    "I have been told" is a statement, not a question. Are you telling us or asking us?

You can report problems with a vehicle inspection to the Highway Patrol. We have no way of telling you what the outcome will be of any inspection they conduct of the facility. There's a statutory provision for punishing an inspection station that produces fraudulent inspection reports, but that provision is penal in nature, not about restitution to a used car buyer, and it's not clear what they would be able to determine in relation to the vehicle you purchased now that you've been driving it for six months. Still, you won't know unless you try.

1. Sponsored Links