Default Inheritance Rights and Jointly Owned Real Estate

My question involves real estate located in the State of: Florida

My mother in law just passed away, now a lady that claims she is over the estate read the will and my husband was left nothing even the land they we live on which is in his name and co owned by the deceased has been brought to his attention that his nieces gets it(land) when they get of age. Now the tittle of the trailer was never recorded and this lady has the tittle she is trying to sell it out from under us make us move. I need to get some advise fast.

Default Re: Some One Trying to Take Our Away to Pay for Funeral of Mother in Law

Get a lawyer. I can't even comprehend your single four line run-on sentence, let alone devine what the exact situation with the estate is. Nobody has *ANY* power over an estate until a court appoints them so.

Default Re: Some One Trying to Take Our Away to Pay for Funeral of Mother in Law

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Get a lawyer. I can't even comprehend your single four line run-on sentence, let alone devine what the exact situation with the estate is. Nobody has *ANY* power over an estate until a court appoints them so.
    well, you understood that the OP needed to consult a lawyer .... lol

Quote Quoting Cynthia Davis
    View Post
    My question involves real estate located in the State of: Florida

My mother in law just passed away, now a lady that claims she is over the estate read the will and my husband was left nothing even the land they we live on which is in his name and co owned by the deceased has been brought to his attention that his nieces gets it(land) when they get of age. Now the tittle of the trailer was never recorded and this lady has the tittle she is trying to sell it out from under us make us move. I need to get some advise fast.
    I agree that you need an attorney. However, mom's will cannot give away something that mom doesn't own. If the land you live on is in your husband's name, mom's will cannot give it to someone else.

You understood that, ll? You're a better woman than I am. I'm impressed.

Default Re: Inheritance Rights and Jointly Owned Real Estate

This thread had the somewhat incomprehensible title, "Some One Trying to Take Our Away to Pay for Funeral of Mother in Law". That suggests that an effort is being made to use estate assets to pay funeral expenses. That is entirely proper. However, nothing in your actual post relates to funeral costs.
    View Post
    My mother in law just passed away, now a lady that claims she is over the estate read the will and my husband was left nothing....
    By "a lady that claims she is over the estate" do you mean the administrator for the state? Who are the heirs named in the will?
    ...even the land they we live on which is in his name and co owned by the deceased
    Exactly how is the land titled? If, for example, it's titled to "Mom and Son" as joint tenants, then mom has an interest in the land that she can leave to her heirs. If it's titled to "Mom and Son as joint tenants with a right of survivorship", then your husband would have gained sole ownership when his mother passed away. The details matter.
    ...has been brought to his attention that his nieces gets it(land) when they get of age.
    If there was no right of survivorship and your mother-in-law left her share of the property to her nieces, with title vesting with them when they reach the age of majority, then that's what happened. The rest depends on the facts.
    Now the tittle of the trailer was never recorded....
    Now we're switching subjects from the real estate itself (the lot upon which the trailer is located) to the trailer? Somebody purchased the trailer, that happened a certain number of years ago, and somewhere there exists an unregistered title describing the buyer(s) of the trailer. Fill in the missing blanks for us.
    and this lady has the tittle she is trying to sell it out from under us make us move.
    You will need to tell us what you mean by "this lady has the tittle". If you mean that she possesses sale and title records indicating that your mother-in-law is the sole owner of the trailer, such that it is part of her estate, then it's reasonable for her to treat it as an asset of the estate. You have not shared any facts that might shed light on whether or not your husband could claim an interest in the trailer if that's the case.
    I need to get some advise fast.
    Your husband should retain a probate lawyer to review the will, and the title records for the trailer and lot.

1. Sponsored Links