Exclamation How Much Information Do I Need to Get a Restraining Order or Protection Order

My question involves restraining orders in the State of: OHIO

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My son's father has disappeared for nearly half a year-hasn't been involved much before that and there have been issues, typical deadbeat dad, LONG story- and is now sending harassing text messages to my husband and me.

The first voicemails were left about 5 months ago. My ex and I had a falling out regarding my son's safety in his care and some issues with my ex's residency - he is usually jobless and has been evicted twice in the last year - and he stated in VM's that he told us he would do something if we messed with him, so we should consider ourselves warned. My husband and I have complied with the court-ordered limited visitation and have not been "problem parents." We have tried very hard to be flexible, but it is now at a point where we have to act to keep my son safe from what his father is doing. He dropped contact altogether and stopped showing up for visitation, no call on my son's birthday, etc. A month later, he left 2 angry voicemails filled with name calling and threats to "watch my back" and "don't poke the bear, see what happens when you poke the bear" etc. The next contact we had was a non-threatening text to speak with his son on Father's Day. I was advised to only respond if he pushed the subject. Nothing else came after that regarding my son. Now we are nearing the end of June, and my ex started targeting my husband. So far he has sent him 8 messages in a 15-hour period. None of it has anything to do with my son, and we have not provoked any of this. There is a lot of profanity, name calling, and comments like "Tick tock,tick tock" and "This will all come to a head, just you wait" etc...

He hasn't gone to court to reinforce the visitation that he stopped showing up for, but he is a known drug user. He went through a good decade of coke and meth, and he lies about being and staying clean. I am afraid he is on drugs again. He did get evicted and we were informed through connections he is now living 180 miles away. I don't know if he will do anything or not, but in case he does, we wanted to take the appropriate channels.

We are saving all voicemails and texts. Do we have enough to warrant a restraining order? More than likely he will continue, or drop off for a while and then pick it up. How much more evidence would we need?

Thank you.

Default Re: How Much Information Do I Need to Get a Restraining Order or Protection Order

Quote Quoting SearchingForTruth87
    View Post
    My question involves restraining orders in the State of: OHIO

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My son's father has disappeared for nearly half a year-hasn't been involved much before that and there have been issues, typical deadbeat dad, LONG story- and is now sending harassing text messages to my husband and me.

The first voicemails were left about 5 months ago. My ex and I had a falling out regarding my son's safety in his care and some issues with my ex's residency - he is usually jobless and has been evicted twice in the last year - and he stated in VM's that he told us he would do something if we messed with him, so we should consider ourselves warned. My husband and I have complied with the court-ordered limited visitation and have not been "problem parents." We have tried very hard to be flexible, but it is now at a point where we have to act to keep my son safe from what his father is doing. He dropped contact altogether and stopped showing up for visitation, no call on my son's birthday, etc. A month later, he left 2 angry voicemails filled with name calling and threats to "watch my back" and "don't poke the bear, see what happens when you poke the bear" etc. The next contact we had was a non-threatening text to speak with his son on Father's Day. I was advised to only respond if he pushed the subject. Nothing else came after that regarding my son. Now we are nearing the end of June, and my ex started targeting my husband. So far he has sent him 8 messages in a 15-hour period. None of it has anything to do with my son, and we have not provoked any of this. There is a lot of profanity, name calling, and comments like "Tick tock,tick tock" and "This will all come to a head, just you wait" etc...

He hasn't gone to court to reinforce the visitation that he stopped showing up for, but he is a known drug user. He went through a good decade of coke and meth, and he lies about being and staying clean. I am afraid he is on drugs again. He did get evicted and we were informed through connections he is now living 180 miles away. I don't know if he will do anything or not, but in case he does, we wanted to take the appropriate channels.

We are saving all voicemails and texts. Do we have enough to warrant a restraining order? More than likely he will continue, or drop off for a while and then pick it up. How much more evidence would we need?

Thank you.
    Honestly? I wouldn't "poke the bear". I would keep track of all communications with him (as you are doing) but otherwise ignore him unless he actually files something in court or specifically states that he wishes to exercise visitation under the terms of the court order. Based on what you have described, the odds of him actually doing that appear to be slim to none.

Default Re: How Much Information Do I Need to Get a Restraining Order or Protection Order

Right, we haven't responded to anything he has been saying and we haven't initiated any conversation with him, either.

I always regret not pressing charges when we were together and his fit throwing and screaming would get the cops called to our place - It was so embarrassing and he would threaten me so I never did anything about it. If I had, I would have had more proof that he has issues when we walked into court. He still wasn't awarded anything but limited custody, but I was hoping the courts would order an anger management program which I believe he desperately needs.

I guess unless he takes me back to court or starts some kind of physical altercation, we'll just keep on documenting everything.

Thanks for the response.

1. Sponsored Links