Post Charged with Assault and Battery While Attempted to Get Away from Somebody

My question involves criminal law for the state of: North Carolina.
    I have been charged with assault and battery in a domestic altercation which occurred at work. My ex would not return personal items of mine and we were in a verbal argument about that. He grabbed my arm and would not let go, despite me telling him more than once to let go, and the force used was enough that there was a clearly visible bruise the next day. I felt that I had no choice but to use force to get away.
    I have been charged with assault and battery. When I asked why he had no charges, I was told it was because he had visible injuries and I did not.
    Why was I the only one charged and what are my legal options?

Default Re: Charged with Assault and Battery While Attempted to Get Away from Somebody

Quote Quoting friendlygirl
    View Post
    When I asked why he had no charges, I was told it was because he had visible injuries and I did not.
    Why was I the only one charged
    We can't possibly guess at something other than the answer that the arresting officer gave. In most cases, the party that ends up arrested in the one that either (a) has injuries, or (b) is felt by the officer to be the primary aggressor. As we have no access to the police report or statements from witnesses or the other party, we really can't guess beyond the reason provided.

and what are my legal options?
    To plead guilty and await sentence, or plead not guilty and seek either a private criminal defense attorney or see if you qualify for the services of the public defender.

Depending on your career and lifestyle, a conviction for a domestic violence related battery can be long reaching - preventing you from owning firearms, getting certain jobs, etc. - so be sure to consult an attorney BEFORE making any plea before the court.

Default Re: Charged with Assault and Battery While Attempted to Get Away from Somebody

I have already lost the career and my personal firearm is being held..
    What if he wants charges dropped? If that's not possible, even though there were no witnesses, will people having heard him give his "version" differently help?

1. Sponsored Links