Default Terminating a Support Order After Entire Family Relocated Abroad

My question involves child support in the State of:Oregon
    We lived in the USA and had a horrendous divorce in 2003 in which my spouse got custody of our twins and returned with them to Australia. I paid off all my arrears and current payment in February then returned myself to Australia in March 2013. My case balance was 0. I wrote them a letter with copies of my date stamp of arrival, my legal residency etc, asking them to terminate my case. It was all returned stamped, ' we cannot modify this case while parties are in Australia'. There are no instructions on the state website about this sort of situation. My ex and I filled up the correct forms and had them notarised, that he does not want support as my son lives with me full-time and my ex makes 3 times as much as me. We cannot afford to retain an attorney in the states. They are sending me bills here. I may want to visit my family in the US sometime and I would have a warrant as I am not paying it. Thanks for any suggestions

Default Re: My Whole Family Lives in Australia and They Won't Terminate My Case in Oregon

Contact the International Child Support Office to assist in coordinating things.

http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/css/...ting-countries

Default Re: Terminating a Support Order After Entire Family Relocated Abroad

It's not clear from your post why support is continuing - that is, if your children remain minors, or if this is about your proving that the children are now adults - or if your ex- wants support to continue to be assessed and collected through the Oregon court.

It appears as everyone is in Australia, they want everything transferred there.

It sounds as if Oregon has been collecting support but all the parties have returned to Australia and custody of the minor children has switched since the return of all parties to OP.

Has the other parent contacted Oregon Support Enforcement and asked Support Enforcement to close the case?

All parties have returned to Australia. The children have recently turned 17. Yes, I have contacted support enforcement as decribed: Sent the DA a letter with copies of my date stamp in passport, legal residency in Australia, Australian driving licence, copy of my lease for my house, electric bills. Have filled up and sent the correct notarised forms for termination, modification ( he does not want support). My son lives with me full time and I am financially responsible for him. That is the change of custody. My daughter lives with me half the time. The payee ( other parent has contacted the support enforcement with signed documents as stated. Thanks

Quote Quoting rebeccaf
    View Post
    All parties have returned to Australia. The children have recently turned 17. Yes, I have contacted support enforcement as decribed: Sent the DA a letter with copies of my date stamp in passport, legal residency in Australia, Australian driving licence, copy of my lease for my house, electric bills. Have filled up and sent the correct notarised forms for termination, modification ( he does not want support). My son lives with me full time and I am financially responsible for him. That is the change of custody. My daughter lives with me half the time. The payee ( other parent has contacted the support enforcement with signed documents as stated. Thanks
    Ok, so you both sent in documents proving that all parties have subsequently relocated to another country. Did your ex specifically request that Oregon Dept. of Child Support Services cease all enforcement and close out the case? Sounds like you need to place a call and speak to someone on the phone, even though it can be difficult to reach your actual caseworker or someone who can accomplish something by telephone. You don't want a modification based on change in custody. That probably confused the person who received your paperwork.

If you get ahold of someone, be *nice* and don't get frustrated. CSE workers eat crap all day long. If you lose your cool, they'll be less inclined to help you.

Also, it may behoove both of you to speak to a lawyer in the county that issued the support order. I know you said you couldn't afford it, but it might not be very costly, especially if you and your ex agree on this. It should simply be a matter of filing a motion and a single court appearance to close the case based on the fact that all parties consent to the motion and have changed their country of residence.

I don't understand why they will not accept what we have sent, which are the proper forms, signed by both of us, and notarised. I can't call them because of the time difference, circuitous menu, and unbelievable time to spend on hold. It is not answered by a real person, you have to leave a number and they won't place an overseas call. The payee has requested in writing to terminate the case. Oregon has no jurisdiction over this family; I don't understand why they are sending me bills, and hope I don't get problems if I ever visit the us.

1. Sponsored Links