Default Depositing the Check of a Deceased Person

My question involves estate proceedings in the state of: Alabama. I have a small check that is made out to my deceased mother it is made out after her death I need to pay some bills it will help. Can I just deposit into our joint account there was no estaste. She was destitute and on medicid. She had no property and no money . There Are no assetts. The check is,for 30dollars. I do not want to break any laws Tha k you for,your help

Default Re: Can I Dosit a Check Made Put to My Deceased Mother. I Have Power of Attorney

Not legally. You need to be the court appointed executor for her estate.

Default Re: Can I Dosit a Check Made Put to My Deceased Mother. I Have Power of Attorney

There Are no assetts.
    yes there are. That check you are holding is an asset.

Unless you have been accepted as the administrator of her estate, you cannot do anything with that check. You surely cannot take it and use it for your own personal needs. That would be theft.

if you use that check for yourself you open yourself to criminal prosecution and you open your accounts to being frozen or garnished by her creditors and then you get to go to court to prove it was only your money in those accounts\

don't do it

The "power" in the POA ceased to exist as soon when your mother died. You can't touch anything with the estate until, as JK points out, you have been granted that authority by the court.

Quote Quoting Lindi143
    View Post
    I have a small check that is made out to my deceased mother it is made out after her death I need to pay some bills it will help.
    Whose bills? Your own? Or you Mother's?

Default Re: Depositing the Check of a Deceased Person

Some states allow next-of-kin to file a Small Estate Affidavit in lieu of filing Probate.

1. Sponsored Links