Angry Employer Approved Timesheets Already, Now Disputing Hours

My question involves employment and labor law for the state of: Illinois

I have had my current job for 2 years. I have worked primarily 9-5 every day with an 1 hour lunch break. I have to submit a timesheet every two weeks for my pay. On this timesheet I always state that I work 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM and I have *never* put down the hour lunch break I take.

Every timesheet I have submitted in this manner has been approved by my manager.

Now the manager is disputing this, saying I should have put down that time I took on lunch.

Can he disputes these timesheets he's already approved? And if not, can I go to HR if he tries to cause a fuss about it, or what are my options? Thank you!

Default Re: Employer Approved Timesheets Already, Now Disputing Hours

Is this a paid or unpaid lunch break? If unpaid, have you been paid for the lunch break as a result of your failure to put down the lunch break on your time sheets? If paid, what difference would this make?

Effectively it would be a paid break, I believe. I am not sure what it would add up to in pay, but this was something I have done since the day I started. He reviews each timesheet for employees and approves (or rejects) it. I have gone on lunch with him before for an hour, so it cannot be claimed he was unaware I was going on lunch.

Going forward your supervisor can direct you to label the lunch break on your timesheet however he wants. If he reports the issue to HR and attempts to dock future pay you need argue that by accepting all previous timesheets without the notation AND he had knowledge of such action he created an adhoc procedure where your not recording the time was standard procedure.

Either it is a paid lunch or it isn't - it's not a question of "effectively" or "I think", but a question of your employer's actual policies. If it is a paid lunch, then (again) this appears to be much ado about nothing. If it is not, and due to your not reflecting the lunch breaks you were taking on your time sheets you were overpaid, it's a bigger deal.

There is nothing illegal about making a mistake (i.e., authorizing payment for your lunch breaks) for awhile and then realizing this was a mistake and then not doing it anymore.

Thanks for the input guys.

FYI you are NOT, by any law anywhere in the US, entitled to a paid break unless you are not relieved of your duties during that time.

If you have been taking an hour break where you are not working, and getting paid for it, you have been paid more than you are entitled to and your employer is within their rights to debate it.

1. Sponsored Links