Lightbulb I Am a Representative Payee and Was Bullied by Recipient to Hand Over Benefits

i was bullied into handing over the direct express card containing ssdi benefits to the recipient. i was only willing to be a payee temporarily and the recipient didnt pay her rent so when she refused to discuss issue with landlord and i, i told her i would have to either get the card back so i could take care of her needs as her payee or send for a new one. i sent for a new one and paid her rent and i am now being threatened by her and do not wan t to be responsible. will i get into trouble because she buillied me into giving her the card?

Default Re: I Am a Representative Payee and Was Bullied by Recipient to Hand Over Benefits

Not sure I understand what you mean that you were bullied into given her the card. You do have an obligation when accepting the appointment of representative payee. It the recipient broke the law in her actions, then you report that to the police.

So, you don't want to be the rep payee any longer. You notify the SSA of your decision so they can source another rep payee.

will i get into trouble because she buillied me into giving her the card?
    that all depends by what you mean by getting into trouble and by bullying. As rep payee, you did accept the obligation to administer the recipients payments. Failure to do so could obligate you to repay benefits the SSA determines were lost due to your negligence or misconduct. Depending on what "bullying" means, it could go either way.

I have not researched it enough to know for sure but I suspect you were required to inform the SSA of your loss of control of the card. That would assist in preventing the abuse of the benefits. If you did not report the loss of the card from your possession, it may be seen as negligence or even a willful act that might result in liability for you.

Default Re: I Am a Representative Payee and Was Bullied by Recipient to Hand Over Benefits

Your duties are summarized in this brochure.

If you're not comfortable putting your foot down with the recipient, or are simply tired of being badgered, I suggest resigning. You're doing the person a favor - if they don't appreciate what you're doing, you don't need to be a martyr.

You need to call SSA and ask them to put the record into payee suspense because you are unwilling to follow the requirements of being a payee. My guess is that you are not the first person that this recipient has bullied and SSA may require a bonded agency payee for ongoing benefits.

Yes, you can be in trouble for handling the funds directly to the recipient. That is called being a conduit payee. There are even Congressional hearings being held now about the problems with representative payees so it is likely that SSA will be cracking down even harder at a later date.

1. Sponsored Links