Default Seller Did Not Disclose Major Issues with the House

My question involves real estate located in the State of: washington

we bought a house and hired an inspector that did a relatively shity job at finding issues.
    the house was bought during a 3 month dry spell in seattle

and everything was dry.

after we moved in about a month or so i accidentally found a basement full of water. the water was about 6 inches from the floor when i saw it

turns out they had an issue with water leak into the electrical panel. that blew the fuse to the sump pump
    we knew about sump pump that was just thrown in there and not properly installed.

we didnt know about electrical panel damage
    or the flooding issue.

now the owners are giving us the runaround saying that they didnt know about any of that

1 roof was replaced and not sealed properly.later on it was patched up. so they knew about that one but didnt replace rusted out breaker board
    2 i found 2 broken sump pumps in the house
    3 city worker tester basement water to see if it was city or ground water(its ground water)
    4 i spoke to all the neighbors and all of them have ground water issues
    5 i have 2 people that said they saw previous owners pumping the water out of their house
    6the hard wood floor is black in few spotsand i know the wood turns black from excessive moisture
    7the corner of the house is settled and have cracks on evry door
    both upstairs and downstairs bathroom dors are not closing even after shaving off the top corner.
    cracks have been painted over and filled in but cracked again

in addition to that we had to fix:
    chinmey siding was completely water damaged top to bottom
    front porch is faling through on one corner from water damage
    the siding on the chimney side is also water damaged
    hardwood floor had to be sanded and resealed
    carpets removed( house is built in 1982 and EVERYTHING is original nothing have been updated
    had to do major yard work because the bushes were damaging neighbors driveway
    woodpeckers are somehow eating through the metal net covers 3 times i dont know what breed they are but they are some tough fukers to be able to knock through the metal 3 times
    and now are hapily living right above our bed.

but
    the owners now got their daughter involved and would not speak with us or our realtor and will only speak to our lawyer.

i have pictures of everything dated when they were taken
    we are only asking them to pay for the water problem fix and not the electrical box that had to come out of our pocket
    yet they are still refusing to talk.

why is it always the buyer that gets the short end of the stick.

i wasnt born in this country and not very familiar with the laws and rights and the legal process so its hard for me to know what needs to be done and when.

and lawyers are damn expensive.

where can i learn more about defending myself from people like the ones we are dealing with.
    and my rights, what can i ask for in these situations.

Default Re: Seller Did Not Disclose Major Issues with the House

Defending yourself? For what?

it does sound like you have a valid basis for action based on a failure to disclose known defects. If you want to learn more, research seller's disclosure requirements for your state. It sounds like you have a lawyer so you need to stop contacting the other party because you do have a lawyer. Let the lawyer do what you hired them to do.

You can "ask" for the moon.

But if the seller says no, you are stuck with the house and all its problems if you can't afford a lawyer to go to battle for you.

Sorry, but that's the reality of it.

i mean shouldnt a common citizen be able to defend himself in this case without hiring a lawyer?

my parents surely didnt need a lawyer when they dealt with issues like this in our country but that was 20 years ago and now they dont know what to do either theres just too much clutter in the system.

how can they say no in spite of all the proof that we have.

the house doesnt need a sump pump when theres no water.

this was our first home purchase and thats why we hired all these people to help us find a good house thats ready to move in.

im dealing with my auto insurance we both work full time jobs and have a 1 year old kid so i cant just spend 6 hours every day researching stuff online.

can a lawyer be just a legal advisor telling me what to do instead of doing it himself to cut my cost?

i dont have a lawyer yet i just found out yesterday what the situation was with the sellers.

=fuzzysig;712859]i mean shouldnt a common citizen be able to defend himself in this case without hiring a lawyer?
    You wouldn't be defending yourself since you would be the plaintiff is such a situation but yes, if you are comfortable doing this, you can do it "pro se". The fact you state you do not have time to do research suggests you need to hire a lawyer though.

the house doesnt need a sump pump when theres no water
    .ok. That only makes sense since a sump pump is to pump water and if there is no water, you wouldn't need one.

can a lawyer be just a legal advisor telling me what to do instead of doing it himself to cut my cost?
    sure, if you can find one willing to but realize, lawyers do what they do for money so many of them are not going to want to sit back and be a director, especially since if your case fails, often times, the client is going to want to blame the lawyer. Since he did not actually handle the case, liability for a failure of a case is not his problem but he is still going to get scrutinized like he is. Generally not worth it.

i dont have a lawyer yet i just found out yesterday what the situation was with the sellers.
    based on what you said:

the owners now got their daughter involved and would not speak with us or our realtor and will only speak to our lawyer.
    I presumed you did have a lawyer. If you do not wish to hire one, then it's time for a lot of research. If the other parties do not wish to speak with you, then you will either have to accept it or go to the next step which would be, if the facts support it, suing them.

in your research, you need to read your contract with your inspector. That contract may have some limitations of his liability you will need to know about.

i see. i guess im gonna have to talk to the lawyer

but what bothers me is the fact that the responsibility lays on me for checking everything.

and when the seller is dishonest the buyer is responsible for checking.
    and then going through all the BS of getting reimbursed for the damages that were not disclosed aka. the seller lied on the documents and now denies everything. but its my fault for not checking. ipersonally dont think its right way

they fixed the damn leak and they installed sump pump after the house was built so theres no denying that the two issues were known

who is saying it is your fault?

You believe you have a claim. You have recourse; the courts. Of course you will have to prove your claims. You don't get to make charges and expect a court to agree with you unless you can prove them, do you?

no I don't but I sent pictures of the water in the basement few weeks after we moved in

and pictures of faulty electrical panel that was already buzzing because fuses were not making contact and were overheating and popping...

and yet after seeing those the owners refuse to talk to us without an attorney.

fuzzysig;718869]no I don't but I sent pictures of the water in the basement few weeks after we moved in
    but that alone does not prove anything other than there was water in the basement when you took the picture. You have to prove it was not a one time condition and the seller was aware it was a problem.

and pictures of faulty electrical panel that was already buzzing because fuses were not making contact and were overheating and popping...
    if it was buzzing, I would not lose sight of the sellers but I would definitely scrutinize your contract with the inspector. That should not have been overlooked.

and yet after seeing those the owners refuse to talk to us without an attorney.
    that is their prerogative and actually possibly their wisest action. That way they do not unintentionally put their foot in their mouth and lose their case or even worse; make it appear they are guilty when they actually aren't. They are likely waiting to see if you are going to just be upset or if you are going to actually do something about it. Once you start legal actions, they will either be compelled to respond to certain filings or hire an attorney to do it for them.

1. Sponsored Links