Default How Long Does Your Employer Have to Prosecute or Sue You for Stealing Money

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Texas

I got fired from my employer for theft of over $5,000. I signed a letter admitting guilt. This was in January 2011. They said I would recieve a civil demand letter but I never did. I sent them teo payments, did not get a receipt or anything. How long can they sue me dora.

Default Re: How Long Does Your Employer Have to Prosecute or Sue You for Stealing Money

A lot depends on how that theft occurred.

If the theft is simple, meaning you walked out the door with company equipment, then it is 2 years (TX Civ Prac & Rem Code 16.003)

If theft was fraudulent in nature, meaning you cooked the books or contrived some manner to obtain the goods by lying to the company then it is four years (TX Civ Prac & Rem Code 16.004(a)4

Since the aciton is based on a criminal matter, the SOL for theft is (TX Crim P Code 12.01(A)4), meaning the DA has five years to prosecute you for the offense.

Default Re: How Long Does Your Employer Have to Prosecute or Sue You for Stealing Money

It was purchasing items with fraudulently obtained gift cards.that would be four years? I rang up gift cards but did not pay for them.

1. Sponsored Links