Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sending Nude Pictures to a Minor Through Omegle

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Maryland or Connecticut

I'm sure you see where this is going based on the title. Long story short about 3 weeks ago I was bored at home and chatting with multiple people on Omegle. We talked about sports, politics, life, sex, etc. I live in Maryland.

Fast forward to today... I get a call from a police detective in Connecticut. They say a phone number received a picture of genitals from my phone number. I would NEVER do anything to a minor, especially sex chat them, but I can't remember who this person was. All I can guarantee is either the person said 3 weeks ago that they were 18 or older or didn't say they were a minor. I tell the detective that it's a mistake and that I would never do it - this is the truth. The detective says the girl was on the site without her parents' permission, the site is supposed to be used by yourself only if you are 18 or older, and that I'm fine. I'm not under arrest, she says, and she said that she is going to tell the parents to keep an eye on the kid because she is unmonitored right now. She said I won't be receiving any more calls from their police department, and that I should never trust anyone online when they say their age or information because it's more than likely a lie.

Also, the detective said I should change my phone number. I've been receiving phone calls and texts from the CT area code, and the detective said it wasn't her so it's either the girl still messing with me, her parents, or someone else. I've never responded to these messages beyond things along the lines of "hello" or "who is this?" The detective said if they keep trying to contact me to call her back so she can investigate it.

Of course, now I'm freaked out. I inadvertently committed a crime without knowing it. I've only ever been convicted of a speeding ticket. Unfortunately I can't go to Omegle and get the logs of the chat because they aren't stored, so I'm worried that me not having proof is bad. I also have really bad memory, plus I was flustered on the phone when talking to the detective because I was already frightened, confused, and honestly scared. I don't even know the girl's name or what we were even talking about that led to us talking via cell text. All I know is that if she had said she was under 18 I would have never in a million years continued the conversation.

What do I do now? I'm worried someone is going to bust down my door. I've already left two messages for local attorneys (I don't have one so I can't just call him up) just in case I need one... am I freaking out too much?

Either way I'm never sex chatting with anyone online ever again. Heck, after this I'm staying away from talking to people I don't know except for forum threads. Thank you.

Default Re: A Minor Didn't Tell Me She Was Under 18 and We Chatted on Omegle

So, how did the cops and the kid get your phone number? Omegle is Internet based with no personal or private information exchanged unless you provide it to the other party.

So, if they have a physical exam of your genitals and compare it to the pictures there is not going to be a match?

At some point in the conversation they/she must have asked for my phone number. Honestly, as stated I don't remember and I have no way to prove it since Omegle doesn't keep chat logs. But again I wouldn't have even gotten to that point if I had known she was a minor - that's really all I have to go on. The detective didn't give me a name or time of day that it happened, just the day itself the complaint was filed.

I feel like I'm being scammed or messed with since I received a text message from someone claiming to know me from Omegle AFTER I received the first unknown voicemail in May, so the kid's parents let her have her phone back.

Here's a solution to prevent future problems: Do NOT engage in sexual banter with strangers! AND ... Do not EVER send pictures of your junk to anyone!!!!

If you really must act like a junior high school kid and giggle about sexual innuendo, do so in person or with people you personally know and trust. Doing so on line with strangers is a sure fire way to catch heat!
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Why are sending pics of your genitals to complete strangers?

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    Here's a solution to prevent future problems: Do NOT engage in sexual banter with strangers! AND ... Do not EVER send pictures of your junk to anyone!!!!

If you really must act like a junior high school kid and giggle about sexual innuendo, do so in person or with people you personally know and trust. Doing so on line with strangers is a sure fire way to catch heat!
    Trust me, I understand that 100% now and will make that a motto to take to my grave. Unfortunately, that doesn't help with my fear now that my naive-ity about her age will get me in trouble if the detective from CT call the cops from MD. Would she do that, even after she said I'm not going to be arrested? I've been reading since last night that I should never under any circumstances say a word to a cop beyond my name and address, but that sounds like a surefire way for the detective to have become real suspicious last night if I had done so. It may have made her push
    the investigation forward instead of what I'm hoping she's doing, which is closing the books on it because it was a mistake.

Quote Quoting eerelations
    View Post
    Why are sending pics of your genitals to complete strangers?
    Because I was stupid. I thought it was harmless and between two adults.

Yes, they might call the local cops ... if the complaint is for real and the police where the alleged victim is are really that interested in making a case out of this. Understand that this could now be a federal offense as well as a crime in one or both states!

For now, do not speak to the police without advice of legal counsel. If they come to arrest you, decline to speak with them and ask for legal counsel. Chances are they have all they need to convict you right now should they choose to, and if this is really the police contacting you.

You might also consider seeking a consultation with an attorney in your state presently just to get some advice on what steps to take should you be charged or arrested with the intent to extradite you to the victim's state.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Quoting Vrikk
    View Post
    Because I was stupid. I thought it was harmless and between two adults.
    That's the problem with internet hookups - you do not KNOW the person on the other keyboard! The problem with youth is that you guys think with your southern polar regions and not with your brains. And what you DO think about in said southern regions is of questionable value and no real substance, anyway.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

I feel so sick right now. I'll seek out legal advice and just hope that the detective was telling the truth that it sounds like I didn't know she was under the age and the girl was incorrect with being on the site alone since she wasn't 18 and she gave me her number. What're the chances that this'll be the last I hear from the authorities about this? I couldn't sleep even last night.

"Do not EVER send pictures of your junk to anyone!!!!"

This will have me laughing for the rest of the day . . . .

OP be careful man . . .

Thank you. I'm a wreck right now. I just want this to go away.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast