Unhappy Breaking a Sublease

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Virginia

I signed a SUBlease in the beginning of April, and agreement to sublease until July 31st. The girl whose name is on the lease had me sign a sublease through the property manager. Everything seemed fine at first. It is a college area, and the apartment houses two other college students. When I first looked at the apartment and moved in, it was a little dirty. Once moved in, I scrubbed down the entire kitchen, hoping to get the ball rolling on the cleaning, and no one did a thing. After living there for now three months, they have literally not washed an entire side of the sink's dishes since I moved in!! I learned that the kitchen also has hundreds of cockroaches and I cannot get rid of them!

The biggest issue that has bothered me is my roomates lack of ability to LOCK THE DOORS!!!! I come home from work in the middle of the night to an empty, dark apartment in the middle of Richmond, VA to find my apartment doors unlocked! (I am a 100lb girl, completley defensless). Just last week, I came back to the apartment after visiting my parents, and my roomate informs me that some one had broken into the apartment and stolen both of my roomates laptops and small electronics. (Luckily my laptop was with me at my parents).

The apartment is becoming so unclean it feels unlivable to me. And my safety in the apartment is becoming a huge concern, as the locks are never locked. I highly doubt whoever robbed the apartment had to "break" in, rather they most likely just turned the door knob.

Is there any way I can get out of my last two months rent since I am a subletter and not the main person on the actual lease??

Default Re: Breaking a Sublease

Not legally, no.

You seem a bit obsessed over cleaning (i.e., scrubbing down an entire kitchen, thinking you can break a lease because your roommates won't wash dishes). It sounds as if, once your lease is up, you need to find a rental unit where you can live by yourself and not depend on others to meet your personal standards of cleanliness.

Gail

I am not neccesarily obsessed with cleaning, but the roomates have left dishes PILED in the sink for three months now, which has led to an infestation of cockroaches and a smell that hits you when you walk in the door.

They also will NOT lock the doors, even though I have brought it to their attention. I feel the fact that the doors are always kept unlocked may have facilitated an easy break-in for the robbers. Does a personal safety concern give me any rights?

If you are in an apartment complex your rental agreement is governed by the VA landlord tenant statute.

I don't think that your issues rise to any level that could give you an out.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...13000020000000

Nobody is saying that you have to be stuck there. You can leave whenever you want. Just understand the potential consequences, like having to pay the rent until July 31 even though you no longer live there.

1. Sponsored Links