Unhappy Remarrying Due to Bigamy

My question involves a marriage in the state of: I married a man that I did not know he was married to someone else. Truth is I know it sounds dumb but I want to remarry him since he has gotten a divorce. What do I need to do because I live in Georgia and I don't want to press charges against him. Just want to get remarried.

Default Re: Bigamy

It seems you both have experience with the act. We cannot guarantee he will not be caught, when he reapplies for a license or reports a re-marriage.

Bigamous marriages are void from the outset. You are not married. You can get remarried.
    When did the bigamous marriage take place? The state only has four years to commence prosecution on this. In any event, it is not up to you. A crime is an offense against the state and they decide if he should be charged.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Bigamous marriages are void from the outset. You are not married. You can get remarried.
    When did the bigamous marriage take place? The state only has four years to commence prosecution on this. In any event, it is not up to you. A crime is an offense against the state and they decide if he should be charged.
    I got "married " in 2009 and he got a divorce in 2012 and I just want to know if I go to another county could I remarry him in another county without getting in trouble

- - - Updated - - -

I just want this to be over

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post

Ron, there's a difference between void and voidable.

We don't know where the marriage occurred

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    Ron, there's a difference between void and voidable.
    Yes if she was married somewhere other than Georgia, the other state's law would apply.
    However, I gave the poster the benefit of the doubt that she was married in Georgia.

In Georgia, a bigamous marriage is AB INITIO void. If she was married in Georgia while he was still married to someone else ANYWHERE, then she is NOT now married.
    If the bigamous marriage occurred in Georgia, they have four years to commence the prosecution for bigamy from the date of the marriage.

Can I remarry him though now that he is divorced or do I have to wait?

1. Sponsored Links