Default Violating a No Left Turn Sign in a Left Turn Lane

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: California

I was recently pulled over for making a left turn when there is a sign that says no left turn lane AT ALL (no time restrictions). However, there is still a dedicated left turn lane present. The officer marked me in violation of traffic code 22101(D).

22101. (a) The Department of Transportation or local authorities in respect to highways under their respective jurisdictions, may cause official traffic control devices to be placed or erected within or adjacent to intersections to regulate or prohibit turning movements at such intersections.

(b) When turning movements are required at an intersection notice of such requirement shall be given by erection of a sign, unless an additional clearly marked traffic lane is provided for the approach to the turning movement, in which event notice as applicable to such additional traffic lane shall be given by any official traffic control device.

(c) When right- or left-hand turns are prohibited at an intersection notice of such prohibition shall be given by erection of a sign.

(d) When official traffic control devices are placed as required in subdivisions (b) or (c), it shall be unlawful for any driver of a vehicle to disobey the directions of such official traffic control devices.

I am reading B and cannot fully decipher what they are saying because it appears to be contradicting to some degree. What warrants a "required" turn? When they refer to event notice, does that mean the traffic device must set a time restriction for the turn? What I am interested in knowing is when there is a clearly marked lane for the turning movement, but there is a also a sign restricting that turning movement at all times, would that still make the left turn unlawful? The light in the intersection is not a dedicated left turn signal either, just the normal traffic signal. Do I have a defense at all? And when did an illegal left turn ticket cost $430!?

I would pull a Google maps image to show the intersection, but the image appears to be old because it does not have the no left turn sign present.

This is an image of the no left turn sign that is present in the intersection:

Thanks,

Slim

Default Re: Illegal Left Turn (Sign Says No Left Turn but There is a Left Turn Lane)

so, you are saying you used to be able to turn left but the municipality has since determined there will be no left turns for some reason and planted a sign, right?

Your defense to ignoring the sign is what?

22101. (a) The Department of Transportation or local authorities in respect to highways under their respective jurisdictions, may cause official traffic control devices to be placed or erected within or adjacent to intersections to regulate or prohibit turning movements at such intersections.

(b) When turning movements are required at an intersection notice of such requirement shall be given by erection of a sign, unless an additional clearly marked traffic lane is provided for the approach to the turning movement, in which event notice as applicable to such additional traffic lane shall be given by any official traffic control device.

(c) When right- or left-hand turns are prohibited at an intersection notice of such prohibition shall be given by erection of a sign.

(d) When official traffic control devices are placed as required in subdivisions (b) or (c), it shall be unlawful for any driver of a vehicle to disobey the directions of such official traffic control devices.

I am reading B and cannot fully decipher what they are saying because it appears to be contradicting to some degree. What warrants a "required" turn? When they refer to event notice, does that mean the traffic device must set a time restriction for the turn? What I am interested in knowing is when there is a clearly marked lane for the turning movement, but there is a also a sign restricting that turning movement at all times, would that still make the left turn unlawful? The light in the intersection is not a dedicated left turn signal either, just the normal traffic signal. Do I have a defense at all? And when did an illegal left turn ticket cost $430!?
    b is addressing a situation where it is REQUIRED to make a turn. c is addressing where it is prohibited to make a turn. Not contradicting at all. In fact, completely opposite situations.

the sign overrides the presence of the lane.

Default Re: Illegal Left Turn (Sign Says No Left Turn but There is a Left Turn Lane)

It really would be helpful if you let us know what intersection it was.

Is it possible that the dedicated left turn lane that you spoke about extends through one or more intersections, but that turning at intermediate intersections is prohibited? Is it possible that the dedicated left turn lane was actually for an intersection up the road from the one you turned at?

More information is needed...

1. Sponsored Links