Default Can You Sue if You're Falsely Accused of Stealing Money at Work

My question involves defamation in the state of: California

I'm 18 years old and live in California and was hired at a restaurant very recently. I worked there for two weeks without much complaint. My boss called me in one morning and told me that the cash register was missing $300 and he has video footage of me giving it to a certain customer and accuses me of partnering with this person in theft. He then threatened to call the police if I didn't admit to doing it. After much deliberation and me vehemently refusing any guilt, he tells me that his video proof actually shows me glancing around before giving change to the customer and fumbling with the register. He says that I gave him an extra few $20 bills and accused me of doing this repeatedly with other customers. I told him to show me the security tapes and he agreed to meet with me next week to look over it and talk about it. What should I do in this case? Should i contact an attorney or talk to the police?

I also never signed any paperwork when i got the position. In fact the morning that he called me in to talk to me about this i turned in my w-4 form. I'm absolutely certain that I didn't make any mistake that would result in $300 missing from the register and I definitely didn't steal it, but I can't think of any explanation for how this happened. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Default Re: I Was Falsely Accused of Stealing $300 at Workplace

No one is going to coach you on what to say to your boss, just tell the truth and see what happens.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

Default Re: Falsely Accused of Stealing Money at Work

You'll want to undergo the discovery process and observe whatever evidence you can. You'll also want to collect evidence of business records of when money was last counted in order to determine if there is probable cause that you were the individual who had tampered with the $300. If the boss cannot prove probable cause, then you can deny his allegation of theft. However, you will need to analyze various forms of evidence. 10 people go into a vacant building. One person is killed. 9 of 10 people are left. There is a 1 out of 9 chance that someone is the killer. You need to determine what evidence that the boss has to determine that you were the individual who stole the money. Personally, I think it's quite difficult to see the face of a bill that an individual is exchanging with someone over a camera feed, but the cash register slots that the individual takes the money from would tell a different story.

Gather as much evidence as possible.

Default Re: Falsely Accused of Stealing Money at Work

whether you did or did not steal anything

do not sign anything

If the police arrive do not answer any questions except your name and that you want a lawyer. The police might tell you it will be easier if you cooperate and "answer a few questions" or "clarify a few things" it will be easier for them.

It may or may not be worth going in and meeting with the boss and reviewing the tapes if you do go in do not comment much on what you see in the tapes, The boss already believes they have you on tape stealing, you are as good as fired.

Also your employer may or may not offer you some sort of deal to resign rather than be fired, it's up to you if you want to do that it makes getting Unemployment impossible but it might make getting a new job easier and given the circumstances you are likely to be denied Unemployment anyways they don't have to prove criminal guilt to deny UIB.

1. Sponsored Links