Question Can a Parent Withdraw a Child from School Before the End of the School Year

My question involves education law in the State of: Michigan

Currently my mother has guardianship of my 10 year old niece. Today she decided to remove my niece from school for the remainder of the school year. My mother has no plan to supplement her education for the rest of the year. Legally can my mother withdraw my niece from school for the last 3 weeks of the school year? What are the alternatives and options? Will she have to repeat her current grade?

Default Re: Can a Parent Withdraw a Child from School Before the End of the School Year

Quote Quoting Kat232013
    View Post
    Currently my mother has guardianship of my 10 year old niece.
    By virtue of a court order? Where are the parents and what do they have to say about this idea?
    Quote Quoting Kat232013
    Today she decided to remove my niece from school for the remainder of the school year.
    Why?
    Quote Quoting Kat232013
    Will she have to repeat her current grade?
    Maybe.

If the guardianship is through a court, an interested party can petition the court to order that the child remain enrolled in school. As you have shared virtually no factual context, there's not much more we can say.

1. Sponsored Links