Default Why Do I Have to Pay Storage Fees After Having My Vehicle Towed

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Oregon. My vehicle broke down and I had a mechanic tow it to his shop. I signed a tow bill for $75. Now when I went to pay the tow bill and pick up my vehicle he says I owe $750 in storage charges. I was never notified of storage fees nor was I ever biilled for storage fees. He is refusing to release my vehicle to me unless I pay these charges. Can he do this???

Default Re: I Had a Mechanic Tow My Vehicle and Now He's Added Storage Fees Without Notifying

What happened between the time he towed it and repaired it?

Default Re: I Had a Mechanic Tow My Vehicle and Now He's Added Storage Fees Without Notifying

What made you think someone would store your vehicle, what sounds to be a month or longer for free?
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

What made me think that this mechanic shop would store my vehicle for free was... because they told me they would... the vehicle broke down on the highway @ 40 miles from home, I called them (the nearest shop around) and had it towed to their shop, signed a tow invoice for a $75 tow charge, talked to the mechanic, he said he would check the vehicle out and give me an estimate for repairs for no charge. He called a few days later, said the motor was blown, gave me a couple options and their costs... I told him I didn't have that kind of $.rite now... he said EXACTLY... no.problem, we have plenty of room, it can stay here, keep me posted, let me no what you decide, no hurry. I talked to him AT LEAST 10 times over @ the next 6 months... he knew I was saving up.to pay for the new motor that they would have to order and therefore wanted to be paid for before actually ordering one. I WAS SPECIFICALLY TOLD THAT I OWED NOTHING BUT THE $75 TOW CHARGE until they ordered a motor (which I would pay for when ordered) and labor charges would not be owed until the vehicle was done. NOW... here's where the storage ALL OF A SUDDEN becomes an issue for him... I found another mechanic who would tow it to his shop and replace the motor for a substantially lower price and with a better warranty. SO... I called the original mechanic and told him that I would like to come by today and pay him the $75 tow bill and collect my keys because I was having it towed elsewhere... ALL OF A SUDDEN HE SAYS... sorry, your vehicle is locked up and you cant have the keys or take it anywhere till you pay the storage too which is an additional $750. So... ????

You say that were told that they would store your car for free based upon their anticipation that you would hire them to repair the car. You left the car there for six months while promising that you were about to hire them to repair the car and then hired somebody else? You expected a smile and a wistful wave goodbye?

Your choices as I see them are: Have them fix the car; sue them to recover your car and hope that it doesn't cost you several times what the car is worth to get a court order to that effect; see if the police will help you recover the car (they may tell you it's a "civil matter"); pay for the storage fee and sue in small claims court to try to get it back.... Other people may be able to think of other options.

You will likely lose. It appears the agreement was they store it in exchange for the repair job. You reneged, so they assessed a storage charge.

1. Sponsored Links