Angry Neighbor's Security Cameras Overlook Our Property

My question involves real estate located in the State of: Florida

Since we moved in over 6 months ago one neighbor has pointed all her surveillance video cameras (7-8) at our pool, backyard and bedroom windows. We quickly put up blinds for the bedroom privacy issues and some privacy screens around the pool however the neighbor continues to move cameras on her property to look under the barriers and focusing in the pool and backyard. She video tapes our grandchildren in the pool, she video tapped us eating dinner yesterday, she adjust cameras and physically comes outside every time we are outside after-work/weekends,etc.

My question is if this harassment is in anyway illegal? If yes what things should I begin to do to put a stop to her harassment?

Everything we have done has been on our property and we have never touched her property or aggressively confronted her.

Default Re: Neighbor 5 -6 Video Surveillance Cameras Aiming at Our Pool and House; Illegal

Mount LED lights facing her house to blind the cameras.

Default Re: Neighbor 5 -6 Video Surveillance Cameras Aiming at Our Pool and House; Illegal

generally, what they are doing is not illegal.

with that said; have you called the police? I doubt they will or can do anything but they might be willing to have a talk to the neighbor. They might be able to figure out why all the interest in your family.

The patrol cops won't do much. You need to talk to someone in a speciality unit. I would even talk to a few lawyers or even the local DA and see what advice they offer. Do not engage the neighbor in any way.

They may take notice, especially with the recent kidnapping breakthroughs in the north.

One of the few people who actually work for a living in Cleveland and it had to be a total whackjob!!!

Quote Quoting bam!
    View Post
    The patrol cops won't do much. You need to talk to someone in a speciality unit. I would even talk to a few lawyers or even the local DA and see what advice they offer. Do not engage the neighbor in any way.

They may take notice, especially with the recent kidnapping breakthroughs in the north.

Default Re: Neighbor's Security Cameras Overlook Our Property

Quote Quoting Dogsofsummer
    View Post
    Since we moved in over 6 months ago one neighbor has pointed all her surveillance video cameras (7-8) at our pool, backyard and bedroom windows.
    This hasn't happened with anybody else? Not the former owner of your house, or the neighbor on the other side? If not, did something happen that inspired this type of unwanted attention? Are we likely talking about somebody who is mentally ill?
    We quickly put up blinds for the bedroom privacy issues and some privacy screens around the pool...
    Were the cameras catching the windows incidentally, or were they actually focused on the interior of your home and bedroom?
    ...however the neighbor continues to move cameras on her property to look under the barriers and focusing in the pool and backyard.
    Can you be more specific about these cameras? The neighbor is putting multiple cameras on the ground so that they film under your privacy screens and then leaving them there?
    She video tapes our grandchildren in the pool, she video tapped us eating dinner yesterday....
    Eating dinner outside?

We called the police once when the neighbor verbally confronted my wife.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    This hasn't happened with anybody else? Not the former owner of your house, or the neighbor on the other side? If not, did something happen that inspired this type of unwanted attention? Are we likely talking about somebody who is mentally ill?
    Yes this has happen to the previous owner, in fact the previous owners wife was physically assaulted by the neighbor. Other side is currently empty but they have no cameras on that side and the previous owner said when the house was full no cameras were on that side. Personally I would say the neighbor has a mental illness but I do not know for sure.[/QUOTE]

Were the cameras catching the windows incidentally, or were they actually focused on the interior of your home and bedroom?
    No the neighbor actually positions the cameras. When we put up the screens they moved the cameras down to the ground to look under them.

Can you be more specific about these cameras? The neighbor is putting multiple cameras on the ground so that they film under your privacy screens and then leaving them there?
    These are surveillance cameras, there are 7 total pointed in to the backyard and at the pool. Some cameras are in trees others have been clamped lower on post that film under the privacy screens.

It is Florida, so we often eat dinner outside if its nice. It is unnerving to hear your neighbor moving cameras to watch you while you try to enjoy a meal.

If it's not personal - if they do this, in essence, to everybody - it's more likely a mental illness / paranoia thing and it's more difficult to come up with a solution.

I appreciate that this person is moving cameras around, but what I asked was whether the cameras are focused on the inside of your home or if any capturing of the interior of your home is incidental. There's a difference between positioning a security camera that incidentally captures activity in a neighboring building because windows are transparent, and focusing a camera on the interior of a home through a window.

Florida has a pretty broad definition of "stalking", and the statute defines "harass" as "to engage in a course of conduct directed at a specific person which causes substantial emotional distress to that person and serves no legitimate purpose". If you can document that these cameras are positioned primarily for harassment - that they serve no reasonable security interest for your neighbor - as of late last year there is a new type of civil injunction you can seek to stop a course of stalking. (Prior to Oct., 2012, you had to have a relationship with the subject of the order; now the relationship is irrelevant.) If you're interested in attempting to obtain such an injunction, you would file the petition through the circuit court in your county. Note, even if you get an order it's not a magic bullet - your neighbor may continue to act out, perhaps barely avoiding violation of the order or perhaps even in disregard of the order. He will be subject to sanction for violating the order, assuming a violation is prosecuted and proved. Here's some official information on anti-stalking orders and the consequence of violating such an order.

I believe this might fall under the realm of harassment, or invasion of privacy??? A phone call to a lawyer might be in order?

Good stuff from Mr. Knowitall + any chance of installing tall, fast growing vegetation like bamboo, or arborvitae?

View Post
    I appreciate that this person is moving cameras around, but what I asked was whether the cameras are focused on the inside of your home or if any capturing of the interior of your home is incidental. There's a difference between positioning a security camera that incidentally captures activity in a neighboring building because windows are transparent, and focusing a camera on the interior of a home through a window.
    Yes they were actually focused into the window. Now all the cameras are focused on the pool and backyard. I could understand partially having the house or yard in the frame but they are only pointed and focused at our backyard/pool.

The information you provided about staking law is very informative and we plan to call an attorney and get some further information on what we can do about the harassment. Thank you very much, this site's responsive users have put me at ease and given information that will help me pursue resolution. I will update the post once we get further information from an attorney.

1. Sponsored Links