Default Billed by Tax Board for Unpaid Vehicle Registration Fees After Selling the Vehicle

While in college I sold my scooter over 4 years ago and mailed in the release of liability. I just got a letter from the Tax Board saying I owe about $300. Last year while I was overseas, I found out the Tax Board levied my bank account and removed $150 for the scooter.

I don't remember who I sold my scooter to because it was some guy on Craigslist 4 years ago.

Some guy at the Tax Board says I have to provide that guys info in order for anything to be removed.

How do I go about stopping this whole thing. I haven't owned a scooter in 4 years.

How do I fight this?

Default Re: California Vehicle Registration Collections. Vehicle Sold Over 3 Years Ago

What "tax board" are we talking about? The IRS? The FTB? And what taxes do you owe on a scooter???

If your registration was delinquent, that would come from the DMV, not the FTB or IRS. Were your assets seized in collections or something?

This sounds odd. The release of liability should be good enough to get you out from underneath this. Perhaps you should go to the DMV and run the registration for the scooter and see when it was transferred and who owns it now.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Default Re: California Vehicle Registration Collections. Vehicle Sold Over 3 Years Ago

its the franchise tax board and the fees are unpaid registration fees.

no the scooter was not seized, when i graduated college, i sold it on craigslist.

what do i need to do to prove i dont own the scooter anymore, i dont remember who i sold it to and the release of liability was mailed to the dmv, which appears like it was never received.

thanks for responding nor cal cop.

Quote Quoting spacefrogg5
    View Post

what do i need to do to prove i dont own the scooter anymore, i dont remember who i sold it to and the release of liability was mailed to the dmv, which appears like it was never received.
    I bet you didn't keep a copy of the release and didn't keep a bill of sale on file.

Important life lesson on keeping financial records forever. These days with cheap scanners and large capacity hard drives I can't fathom why people don't keep better records.

Oh well.

Anyway, I agree with the suggestion that you go to the DMV and see if there was a change of title filed.

If there wasn't I think you are stuck paying the bill.

Ditto.

For a small fee at the DMV you can get the info on the registration. If you do not recall the license plate or the VIN, then you may well be screwed and stuck with a tax bill.

I have not heard of the FTB going after people for vehicle registration, but, I suppose there is a first for everything.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links