Exclamation I Caused an Accident While Uninsured, Repair Estimate is Too High

My name is wan,I'm an international student, and I living in a host family. About two weeks ago, my car was hit the host family's truck, there were no witness and no police report. I was being honest; I told the car owner I will pay the repair cost. However for his car, his requirement for the body repair fees was too high about 1500 dollars. I was no insurance by the time. His car is 1980 Mazda truck, the car is really old the estimate price is no more than 2000 dollars. I asked him to take his car to the place I suggested, the guy has 20 years auto body repair experience, he also been authorized by Benz for auto body repair. He doesn't give me any options, and suing me by not paying the cost. The reason why the price too high is because he said the place he wants to go have warranty. However,I donít think I have responsibilities to pay for his car warranty by the future car damage. I told my parents they think I caused the problem, then I must solve by myself, I really donít have money. Is there any chance I reduce the payment? He was trying to threat me by put me in the jail. And is there any hope I can win this case?
    Best regard, and god bless.
    wanhuanyuan

Default Re: I Caused an Accident While Uninsured, Repair Estimate is Too High

What does "my car was hit the host family's truck" mean? You hit somebody else's car while driving your host family's truck? Why was the vehicle you were driving uninsured?

Any decent repair shop gives a warranty on its repair work.

If you prefer to offer to buy the car for fair market value, and fix it yourself once its yours, you can make him that offer.

You didn't follow the instruction to identify the state where this occurred - can you do that now?

I suggest you request he get 2 other estimates. The value of an antique is much higher than the value of a beater car. The warranty he is referring to, is the quality of the repair, not a repair warranty on his vehicle. You have not given us your location. Is this in the US?

I was driving my car while I hit my host family's truck, I'm at state of WA.

1. Sponsored Links