Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009

    Default Can I Change My First Name on My Birth Certificate

    My question involves name change laws in the State of: NJ

    Hello...I was born in NYC and currently live in NJ.

    My Birth Certificate has a first and middle name that I have never used...all my official documents (SS card, passport, driver's license, taxes, school records, etc) have my common usage name.

    I would like to get dual US/Italian citizenship and have been told that all MY documents must match.

    Question: Can I "amend" my birth certificate (i.e. AKA) or must I petition for a "name change"? Is it one and the same?
    Do I have to file in NYC or can I do it locally (Morristown)?
    How do I proceed?
    Since all my "official" documents are already in my desired name, should I hire an attorney?

    Thank you for your help.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2006

    Default Re: Can I "Amend" My First Name on Bc

    Quote Quoting myjo24de
    View Post
    Since all my "official" documents are already in my desired name, should I hire an attorney?
    so, none of your "official" documents actually have your "official" (legal) name on them? Just how will you explain that you got a name change TO what is already on those documents?

    since applying for a passport requires you to present a certified copy of your birth certificate, just how did you succeed in getting it in a name that is not on your birth certificate and in fact, is not your legal name?

    did you happen to miss this on the passport application:

    Warning: False statements made knowingly and willfully in passport applications....

    are punishable by fine and/or imprisonment under US law...
    and a birth certificate (or a previous passport but then somewhere along the line a birth certificate was required) is required to obtain a passport as proof of citizenship.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009

    Default Re: Can I "Amend" My First Name on Bc

    When I applied for my passport, I did show my birth certificate...along with my SS card (also showed my BC to get that) and assorted other forms of ID that have my "common usage" name.
    The gentleman at the passport office (NYC) accepted those forms of ID and issued my passport with my "common usage name".
    It is my understanding that in certain states, anyone can "change their name if it has been the "common usage name" for five years. I have never used the first name on my BC.
    So, getting back to my original post...the only document that requires changing is my birth certificate.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2006

    Default Re: Can I "Amend" My First Name on Bc

    a name change by common usage does not change your legal name.

    On the passport application, you are required to provide your full legal name on the application.

    anyway; to change your name, legally and formally, you will have to go through the courts. From what I understand, NJ does allow you to amend the birth certificate to reflect the name change.

    Legal Name Changes
    To amend your name on a birth, marriage, civil union or domestic partnership record, mail the following documents to the address listed below.

    • A letter identifying the vital record to be corrected. Identify the name currently reported on the vital record, the exact date and place where the event occurred, and in the case of a birth record, the motherís full maiden name and fatherís full name, if listed on the vital record.
    • A certified copy of the original judgment of name change. This document will be returned. Photocopies cannot be accepted.
    • Payment in the amount of $2 to process the legal name change. A certified copy of the certificate can be ordered for $25 for the first copy and $2 for each additional copy of the same certificate. Please remit payment in the form of a check or money order made payable to: Treasurer, State of New Jersey.

    New Jersey Bureau of Vital Statistics and Registration
    Attn: Ė Record Modification Unit
    PO Box 370
    Trenton, NJ 08625-0370

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Changing a Child's Name: Birth Certificate After Name Change
    By km0711 in forum Name Change
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-06-2012, 06:15 AM
  2. Change of Birth Certificate
    By dport in forum Paternity Law
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2009, 05:23 AM
  3. I Want To Change The Last Name On Birth Certificate
    By tiffanyholley in forum Name Change
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-12-2008, 08:53 PM
  4. Last Name Change On Birth Certificate
    By Jazzy22408 in forum Name Change
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-29-2008, 05:09 PM
  5. Birth Certificate and Name Change
    By MissV3513 in forum Name Change
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-22-2007, 11:13 AM
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources