Default Checks Sent to Me in the Mail Stolen and Cashed

My question involves criminal law for the state of: FLORIDA

I recently had two separate checks(both for around $400 each) mailed to me by an insurance company for claims I submitted. However, the checks were mailed to my previous address as I had inadvertently failed to update my current mailing address with them. I also never filed a change of address with USPS so that part is on me. It wasn't until well after being notified by the insurance company that checks were being sent out that I realized my oversight. I contacted the insurance company to update my address and explain the situation. They said they would re-issue the checks. Of course, I assumed their records would show the checks hadn't been cashed. A week later they called to inform me the checks had in fact, been cleared so therefore there would not be a re-issue. I'm not sure if they ever made it to my previous address or not, but either way.... someone opened two envelopes addressed to me, forged my signature on the checks...and fraudulently cashed them.

My question is...what are the chances the culprit can be identified if I was to report this to the issuing bank and either local LE or Postal Inspectors? Will the bank put forth the effort to find out who forged my signature and in who's pocket my money ended up? Would the police consider it a serious matter worth investigating? I know Postal Inspectors take mail theft by employees very seriously but I doubt there is any way to know if that's what happened. I don't realistically expect to ever recover the money but it would give me some satisfaction to see that the thief got identified and paid the price.

Default Re: Checks Sent to Me in the Mail Stolen and Cashed

You need to start with notifying the insurance company of the issue. You also need to contact the police and the local postmaster.

See what happens once you do all of that.

Why haven't you reported this to the police yet? You should have done so immediately upon learning that somebody other than you had cashed the checks.

The chances of catching the culprit will depend on what evidence is available. The longer you wait to make your report, the less likely it is that evidence will still be available - such evidence as surveillance video is often overwritten on a scheduled basis.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Why haven't you reported this to the police yet?
    I only found out the checks had cleared last night.

1. Sponsored Links