Exclamation What to do in court in New York

my court date is inching closer and closer and I'm scared of what might happen. I have never been arrested or done anything before! I have so many questions that I hope people could answer. One being that if i plead guilty to the charge, could my records still be sealed? or should i just plead innocent? Also, I'm a senior in high school right now going through a lot, especially college applications.. would it be affected by any of this? I'm already under a lot of stress and I really just don't know what to do.

I'm also wondering, that since i was caught for shoplifting when i was 16 and i just turned 17, what would happen? Also, i heard there's this thing that if you're a juvenile, my records for that would be sealed when i turn 18, is that true? and that won't follow me into adulthood?

im sorry for all the questions, but i need serious help!!

Default Re: what to do in court!! new york

also, i remember the police, before releasing me saying that if i don't do anything illegal for 6 months, my records could be sealed. I don't know if it's true though...

Default Re: what to do in court!! new york

Are you charged as a juvenile? I may be wrong, but it's my understanding that New York charges 16-year-olds as adults.

You should try to find a way to avoid a conviction, if at all possible - whether a diversion program, deferred sentence, or something else. A local criminal defense lawyer or public defender should be able to advise you as to your options.

Default Re: What to do in court in New York

i don't know what i'm convicted as because the police never told me. maybe it is 16 in new york... so i guess if it goes in my record, i would have no way of getting it out?

1. Sponsored Links