Default What Types of Custody Can You Get

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: california

I have a 3 year old little boy. me and my son live in cali and his father lives in tx. his father is not on the bc and i have full legal custody. his father hasnt tried to visit him. he didnt send him anything for his birthday or christmas. he doesnt pay child support. and he sends texts saying he hopes me and our son have a great life. ad saying i dont want anything to do with our son. and my son was on his insurance but took him off and said wanted nothig to do with him. then a couple days later he texted again and said i am coming to cali and i better be scared and he is coming for our son. that was in january then yesturday i got a text saying i will see you in july which idk what he means but probably to take me to court. i know there are different types of custody and visitation. i just want to know all the types of full custody, joint custody and visitations. could what he text me about not wanting anything to do with him affect him getting any custody. and i just think he would get visitation while i get full custody. just cuz i think he is only going after visitation and not want custody but i would still like the difference. nothing has been filed yet i just want to get inform about all the custody and visitation options.

Default Re: What Types of Custody Can You Get

You can establish paternity(through the courts), add him to the birth certificate, and actuall go through the courts to establish custody. Then, he'd have child support, and visitation. That way, he can't just threaten you like that(well, he can, but you know what I mean), as you'll have documents stating otherwise. As of now, he'd have to establish paternity with the state first, and then go from there. I don't know how it works in California, as while I was divorced there, I did not reside there when it came time to have children.

The custodies I'm aware of are:
    Joint Physical
    Joint Legal
    Primary
    50/50

From what I've seen online and through experience and such, it's normal for one parent to have the children more than half the time(Primary/Residential Parent/Custodial Parent), with both having 50/50 legal(joint decisions regarding medical, education etc), and the other parent to have visitation and be designated "Non-Custodial Parent"(this is typically the parent who pays child support).

Post hx, folks.

thanks. so actually the father texted me just now saying he is comming to take my son and will make me beg for him. what should i do for that he isnt a legal father and havent filed yet to be the legal father. what should i do when he threatens to kidnap my son.

Ignore him?

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    Ignore him?
    ^That

He's minimum 12 hours away(That's Austin to San Diego, FYI)...if he can't bother to buy diapers, you think he'll bother to go half way across the country and go to court, just for a couple hours?

Also, your posting this in 2 different areas, are going to annoy people. Delete one of them. Everyone will see both, and they'll be the same people viewing. You won't get a different answer.

Start a paper trail. If it goes to court, show your texts/emails and if possible, turn your voicemail on to "tell" you what number the VM is from. As in "voicemail from 555-0000 from 12 pm on such date"...That depends on your carrier. OR, you can get "Mr. Number" and that app does all that for you. I have Verizon, and I have the option of "Visual Voicemail" which essentially turns voicemails into a text(so the number is in plain view).

1. Sponsored Links