Default Third Party Administrators Gave Medical Records to Defense Lawyers

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: California.

Okay, I was hurt in a slip-and-fall matter. I was working with the business's thirty party administrators (not the insurance company). The business in which I fell in does not have general liability insurance, but they have a third party that tried to help out their claims and play pretend as an insurance company, giving claim numbers and calling themselves claim's adjusters, etc.

Okay, this thirty party group and I could not come to an agreement, after I had submitted all my medical records and billing to them. This thirty party told me that my statues expires 1 month after the actual statues (a lie basically). However, I was smarter than that and I filed my suit and have had the business served.

Now comes time for discovery with the business' lawyers. Come to find out, I find that this thirty party group (located in a different state) has sent all my medical records to the lawyers. I know this, because the lawyers are trying to get me to sign an authorization for release of medical records with the respective medical facilities that I went to in regards to my injury. I understand that the lawyers are allowed to see medical records and billing pertaining to my case. However, I do not like the fact that my medical records were sent to the lawyers without my authorization and consent. In fact, I stamped each medical record with a "Copy" & "Confidential" stamp.

My dispute is with this thirty party group for their deceptive practices and now come to find out, they are sending my medical records to whomever they choose. Keep in mind, this thirty party group and the lawyers offices have no business relationship at all. These are two different businesses "hired" by the same business. Lastly, I have NOT sent anything over to the lawyers as of yet. And I am well aware of the discovery rules.

Should I file something with the medical board? Contact the attorney general? Contact the district attorney?

Default Re: Third Party Administrators Gave Medical Records to Defense Lawyers

The administrators owe you no duty of confidentiality in relation to the records you give them, no matter what you stamp on the records.

The lawyers want releases so that they can get records from the original sources.

Default Re: Third Party Administrators Gave Medical Records to Defense Lawyers

Quote Quoting ChopChop
    View Post

Should I file something with the medical board? Contact the attorney general? Contact the district attorney?
    Don't bother. Nobody did anything wrong, or illegal, to you.

You made a claim against the business. This is an adversarial relationship. In other words the business is your enemy. The business hired the third party administrators to defend the interests of the business. The business hired the lawyers to defend against your lawsuit. Both representatives of the business have the right to share your information with each other and with the business. The laywers want your medical release so they can get complete records from your medical providers without your fingers picking and choosing what records to send.

That's how it works. If you want to play in the big leagues without hiring a lawyer you need to learn the rules just like a lawyer knows them because that's what the courts will demand of you.

1. Sponsored Links