Default Biological Father Rights and Legal Father Rights

My question involves paternity law for the State of: VA

Almost two years ago my wife had an affair with another man which resulted in a baby girl being conceived who is a year old now. After I learned of her conception I took full and complete responsibility as her father from the very beginning and loved her just like she was my own. Presently, the biological father knows about the baby girl and without a doubt knows she came from him. As hard as it would be if it came down to it, I am willing to allow my daughter to know her biological father so as not to cause her confusion or resentment as she matures into a woman, but only on limited and restrictive terms (i.e. supervised visits). I would rather this man have very little influence on my daughter's life so it would be very hard for me to leave my little girl alone with him without myself or her mom being present. Whether my wife and I stay together or not I will NEVER relinquish any rights to her, but my question is what legal rights could the biological father pursue and achieve to be a part of this little girl's life if he chose to? Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Biological Father Rights and Legal Father Rights

Quote Quoting contremp
    View Post
    My question involves paternity law for the State of: VA

Almost two years ago my wife had an affair with another man which resulted in a baby girl being conceived who is a year old now. After I learned of her conception I took full and complete responsibility as her father from the very beginning and loved her just like she was my own. Presently, the biological father knows about the baby girl and without a doubt knows she came from him. As hard as it would be if it came down to it, I am willing to allow my daughter to know her biological father so as not to cause her confusion or resentment as she matures into a woman, but only on limited and restrictive terms (i.e. supervised visits). I would rather this man have very little influence on my daughter's life so it would be very hard for me to leave my little girl alone with him without myself or her mom being present. Whether my wife and I stay together or not I will NEVER relinquish any rights to her, but my question is what legal rights could the biological father pursue and achieve to be a part of this little girl's life if he chose to? Any responses would be greatly appreciated.
    You need a consult with a local attorney. It all depends on whether or not VA law would allow the biological father to challenge your paternity. In many states (maybe even most of them) at only one year old it would definitely be possible for your paternity to be legally challenged.

Default Re: Biological Father Rights and Legal Father Rights

What you are proposing is not going to happen. Either he is able to (and does) challenge your paternity and then receive full parental rights, or he does not and you retain full parental rights. If he does obtain full parental rights, Mom can ask for supervised visits at first as he gets to know her. But it would likely be temporary.

1. Sponsored Links